The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having problems here in north central Montana with lentils and chick pea straw not curing out after desiccation. We had some what of a drought and the plants have waxed up to conserve moisture. This wax is building up on sections and guards. My 1020 wobble box support cracked and tore loose from header from the sickle sticking. After repairing the header we now have to power wash sickle and oil it to keep it from binding. May have to go to a MacDon FD series with double drive. Does MacDon make a double drive in a 35 ft or just 40 and 45? Also what's the difference between a FD 70 and FD 75? I don't believe there is any use looking at a 2020 header, my understanding is they are built lighter than the 1020's. Anyone have experience with this problem?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We used to have a problem like yours when cutting flax . We would oil the knife with used engine oil and run a smooth knife as the serrated sections seemed to build up more crap . Another thing that we would do is to take the knife out and "sharpen" the guards ( get the edges 90 degrees and a sharp edge ) with a angle grinder . This seemed to help on our old versatile swathers . What about going to a sch quickcut system ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts