The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought me a 17.5 1020 head for my 1440 combine. The connector plug is different on the head from the combine. I figured my local Case dealer would have an adapter or the right connecter for it but they told me that I just needed to find another connector like my combine at a auto part store and cut the wires and put it on the head to make it work. I posted a picture of the connector on the combine and head to show the difference. I hope it works. Do y'all have any better suggestions or is that the only way to do it?

Thank you for any help provided.

Russell.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. 361turbo you wouldn't happen to have the link to that still would you or know the part number would you? Because I can't find it for nothin lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought me a 17.5 1020 head for my 1440 combine. The connector plug is different on the head from the combine. I figured my local Case dealer would have an adapter or the right connecter for it but they told me that I just needed to find another connector like my combine at a auto part store and cut the wires and put it on the head to make it work. I posted a picture of the connector on the combine and head to show the difference. I hope it works. Do y'all have any better suggestions or is that the only way to do it?

Thank you for any help provided.
Was going to say when we brought our 1020 head one of the combine techs came up and changed the plug on the combine and gave us some hose extensions and a mount for the couplers.

Your plug is different though, our 1460 had a smaller round plug with the 3 wires which I think was the OEM plug. I'd probably just change the combine plug to be the same as the 1020 head, looks like its a bit more weather proof.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MNfarmer85. So if I just switch the plug on the combine to the same as the one on the head by splicing the wires will everything still work fine?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Change the potentiometer on the head then your plug will be the same. You will have to to run automatic header anyway. Did it on 1460 been running for three years.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
So if I just switch the plug on the combine to the same as the one on the head by splicing the wires will everything still work fine?
That's what the service guy did, just have to know what wire goes where. I'd have to look at ours though don't remember how they went. Guess you could change the header plug, but if you change the combine plug you could use say a 20' 1020 head and not have to worry about changing that plug.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do not switch plugs!!

The 14xx and first 16xx use a potentiometer with half the resistance of the later 16xx and 21xx. You need a new pot. It comes with the cable. About 80 dollars. New style pot on old combine and you wont get enough response. Old pot on new combine gives you physco up and down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do not switch plugs!!

The 14xx and first 16xx use a potentiometer with half the resistance of the later 16xx and 21xx. You need a new pot. It comes with the cable. About 80 dollars. New style pot on old combine and you wont get enough response. Old pot on new combine gives you physco up and down.
Ok thanks you. Do you know where I could get a new pot and cable?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts