The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Thats hard to say.....

Several guys have went from the 1020 to 2020 and claim they can cut longer and it does a better job

but brand new 10 compared to a 20

i don't see anything great except the full finger auger

Good luck with whatever you go with and let us know what you think if you go to the 2020

·
Registered
809 Posts
The biggest complaint that I have heard against the 2020 is the way the field tracker/ header control works on the outside ends.......the outside divider snouts do NOT activate the tracker/header control like on the 1020's......the 2020 platform has to "feel" the change in ground level before it reacts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In my opinion neither of those heads are real impressive. If you ask me the 1020's aren't built strong enough and they have a handful of small design flaws that hurt their performance. The 2020 has some improvements but they only have 4.5" of sickle flex and that's just not enough in our rolling ground. We bought a Harvestmore 725 head from Young's Custom Ag Service last fall and if you ask me it's a big improvement over either the 1020 or 2020. Just yesterday I had a guy who is looking at new flex heads who wanted to look at a Harvestmore and it pretty much sold itself. The Harvestmore is built alot stronger than a 1020 and has several small differences that allow it to outcut a 1020 especially in tough conditions. The Harvestmore heads have 9" of flex, a SCH Pro-Drive wobble box and several other features that set it apart from the 1020 or 2020.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Back to the difference on the 1020 and 2020

I didn't know that the auto header part works differently on following the terrain i'll have to ask and see what some of the guys think

I always thought the 1020's did a good job on how they were built to follow the terrain

Either way you will have a good grain head

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:In my opinion neither of those heads are real impressive. If you ask me the 1020's aren't built strong enough and they have a handful of small design flaws that hurt their performance. The 2020 has some improvements but they only have 4.5" of sickle flex and that's just not enough in our rolling ground. We bought a Harvestmore 725 head from Young's Custom Ag Service last fall and if you ask me it's a big improvement over either the 1020 or 2020. Just yesterday I had a guy who is looking at new flex heads who wanted to look at a Harvestmore and it pretty much sold itself. The Harvestmore is built alot stronger than a 1020 and has several small differences that allow it to outcut a 1020 especially in tough conditions. The Harvestmore heads have 9" of flex, a SCH Pro-Drive wobble box and several other features that set it apart from the 1020 or 2020.

·
Registered
195 Posts
At this point I don't think they are planning on selling their heads through dealers, the way they've done it in the past with their modified 820 heads was to sell everything out of their shop but they do have some 820's running in Canada so that isn't a problem. Last fall I think they had about 10 Harvestmore's in the field but this year they are shooting for around 40 in 25, 30 and 35' widths. They have a website but I can't get it to work right now or I'd post a link to it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Do you like the way the reel works on that header? Does it throw soybean plants over the back when you are working into a wind?

You call that rolling ground
?

Nice looking beans and looks like the header is doing a good job.

You run the field tracker with the head?

thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
It looks like that reel would throw beans but it's actually alot better about than than a standard reel plus it will never wrap. That ground isn't rolling but I never saw a flex head bigger than 20' around here until after the lateral tilt systems were developed. We are running Field Tracker with this head, I think it comes as standard equipment on them.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I know this isn't exactly a 1020 vs. 2020 header question anymore, but I'm really starting to wonder if these Harvestmore headers are a better solution.

In my part of Iowa, soybeans are the only crop we use a grain head on. I've thought about how useful a flex draper would be, but I really have to look at those not as a flex head, but as a 3-piece rigid head. I just don't believe it flexes enough at those pivit points to contour our ground well. Since we run 2 combines, we might be able to get away with a true flex head like the 1010 on one machine to open fields up and cut the really curvy ground. Then come in with a 36' flex draper to knock out some acres and finish up fields.

However, I'm also aware of the annoying problems that the 1020s have. It seems to now be an aged design that hasn't been improved upon much. The 2020 is the newer edition, but I've heard some people dislike them as well.

So that brings me to this Harvestmore thing. Is this still a somewhat experimental unit, or is it full production now with a set price. Does anybody know what the prices are on these headers, and how does it compare to 1020s and 2020s of the same widths?

-Lance

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Harvestmore heads are in full "production" now but each head is more or less hand built so it's not like they are building 20 heads a week. I think they ran their prototype head for two years to get the bugs worked out of it and the first production models were in the field for the '04 soybean harvest, I believe there were about a dozen in the field last year in five states. I'm not for sure what the price is on the Harvestmore heads now, last fall I think our's was about $18,500 for the 25' model plus the $1,800 Orbit reel option, that was with the stainless steel floor sheets and field tracker as well as for/aft reel, delivered and setup for our combine. Last week I had a guy from the Des Moines area down to look at our Harvestmore and he said right now they can buy a Harvestmore a little cheaper than a new 1020 and he seemed to be very impresed with the Harvestmore. I'm in the southeast corner of Iowa, down by Fairfield and if you'd want to come take a look at our Harvestmore your more than welcome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lance, I found a picture that shows how green some of the beans were that we cut last fall and this field wasn't the worst by far. If I remember right this field averaged around 70 bpa and we were running a solid 4.5 mph most of the time.

Also Young's have their new website up now but it still doesn't show as much on their heads as I'd like.

http://www.youngscustomagservice.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.