The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried out a 1050 Challenger tractor yet? Done some homework on that massive tractor and I sure like it a lot! The very first 500 hp MFWD tractor in the world! Our local Challenger dealer has one on there lot with 250 ish hours on it. A Farmer bought and used it last season and could say a bad thing about it, but for him he had always had a track tractor so he went back to a Challenger track tractor. With that 1050 he was saying he could pull huge equipment at a very low rpm making it very good on fuel bill. I guess that MAN is supposed to be an amazing engine!
I was going to attach a picture but struggle with this drag and drop thing on this iPad. Sometimes it works and other times it does not. Wish I could just copy and paste pictures!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have a Fendt 1038 and they’re great.

That said, a 1038 is EXACTLY the same tractor front to back as a 1050, it’s literally just computer programming and another 70-80k. That’s all I’ll say for now.
What's the difference in computer programming?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a Fendt 1038 and they’re great.

That said, a 1038 is EXACTLY the same tractor front to back as a 1050, it’s literally just computer programming and another 70-80k. That’s all I’ll say for now.

I am curious what you use the tractor for and how you have it weighted, if you don’t mind.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I am curious what you use the tractor for and how you have it weighted, if you don’t mind.
Grain carting, and hoping it’ll pull a pro till for some breaking we’re doing. Have a 2500kg weight on the front and then 750 per side in the rears, may need to add more maybe.

And the tractor gives a little flexibility if seeding gets really late to add another small drill.... hopefully won’t need that but she’s looking like it might be a tough seeding season so far.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Grain carting, and hoping it’ll pull a pro till for some breaking we’re doing. Have a 2500kg weight on the front and then 750 per side in the rears, may need to add more maybe.

And the tractor gives a little flexibility if seeding gets really late to add another small drill.... hopefully won’t need that but she’s looking like it might be a tough seeding season so far.
What size of cart and protill? Any idea what these factors weigh ?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
What size of cart and protill? Any idea what these factors weigh ?
Cart is a tracked Brent 1394, could handle more but I’m not a lover of the huge carts. Pro till is 33ft, I’m not positive how well it’s gone pull but I think it should be fine at 500 hp. I believe with the weights they’re close to 40k. I think they’re 31k without weight.

We actually hooked a 1050 that they had for demos up to our 60ft 3720 with 7950 tank to test. It wasn’t enough but I was surprised it actually was able to do the job, even in pretty rolly land. Our 620 Quads even have trouble with that drill (they shouldn’t but they do)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Cart is a tracked Brent 1394, could handle more but I’m not a lover of the huge carts. Pro till is 33ft, I’m not positive how well it’s gone pull but I think it should be fine at 500 hp. I believe with the weights they’re close to 40k. I think they’re 31k without weight.

We actually hooked a 1050 that they had for demos up to our 60ft 3720 with 7950 tank to test. It wasn’t enough but I was surprised it actually was able to do the job, even in pretty rolly land. Our 620 Quads even have trouble with that drill (they shouldn’t but they do)

That’s impressive. I didn’t think they would have been able to put the power to the ground for jobs like protill or air drill. But if it pulled that drill, it should handle the protill.
A larger grain cart might start to push that tractor around if in hilly land???

What tires?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't pester the guy, are you trying to get his warranty voided...

I would be interested to hear a review after you run it for a season.
Jut trying to get a sense of how these things perform, since they are not common. The dealer sells the lowest model of each series and sets them at whatever you want brand new, I know that already. But I digress

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Google dieselross Farms Ltd they are pulling a 80 foot seedhawk with a 1050, there is a 1050 west of Hazlet pulling a 65 foot bourgault paralink and 750 bushel cart in some serious hills I’ve been told.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
That’s impressive. I didn’t think they would have been able to put the power to the ground for jobs like protill or air drill. But if it pulled that drill, it should handle the protill.
A larger grain cart might start to push that tractor around if in hilly land???

What tires?
You can get them up to a little over 50,000 lbs so it would out weigh some of the articulated units out there. Another plus is there is no articulated tractor built that will ride as nice.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
You can get them up to a little over 50,000 lbs so it would out weigh some of the articulated units out there. Another plus is there is no articulated tractor built that will ride as nice.
Will check that out, our RX’s weight about 56,000lbs.

So what is the benifit of these large mfwd for pulling an air drill? I assume for other uses also ?

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I've got a hard on for one of these as well, just not sure where I'd place it. Cart for sure but our drills are to big no question.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Jut trying to get a sense of how these things perform, since they are not common. The dealer sells the lowest model of each series and sets them at whatever you want brand new, I know that already. But I digress
Yeah I was just giving you a hard time...and trying to give kauppfarms a pass if he wanted such.:wink:

I've got a hard on for one of these as well, just not sure where I'd place it. Cart for sure but our drills are to big no question.
I would have made a move on the tractor mentioned in the original post, but the nitwits ordered it without 3pt hitch.:sFun_doh2:
https://www.agdealer.com/pages/view-listing.cfm?Challenger-1050-Tractor-871926&SearchID=232742426&PageNumber=1&PortalID=1329&startrow=161&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=/pages/index.cfm&ID=871926

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah I was just giving you a hard time...and trying to give kauppfarms a pass if he wanted such.:wink:

I would have made a move on the tractor mentioned in the original post, but the nitwits ordered it without 3pt hitch.:sFun_doh2:
https://www.agdealer.com/pages/view-listing.cfm?Challenger-1050-Tractor-871926&SearchID=232742426&PageNumber=1&PortalID=1329&startrow=161&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=/pages/index.cfm&ID=871926
Hat tractor at agwest steers like a school bus defenatly not a fendt 1050 hat can turn on a dime as i was told

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Cart, harrows, floater, protill type tillage, front 3 point and mount blade for snow, there ya go, justified !

Not sure it would do any better than a articulated 4wd though, but .... it’s cool.

Swman, would you pull the disc drill with it ? Or more for spreading etc ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts