The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may have some corn to harvest later on, so I am looking for a 6-row corn head for my 2188. I know absolutely "nothing" about corn heads, so can you guys give me some advice on what to look for, when shopping for one?
thanks,
jim

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Check the knvies on it and drive chains...make sure ur sprokets are all in good shape and the idler on the drive chain the bracket it attaches too if it looks warn at all just replace it.

check the gear box oil..U have to suck it out with a sucktion gun then refill and your good to go.

Really great heads. we still use a 83 and 85 model on our new 2588 and 2 year old models.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
1063 is a really good head. we replaced all the stalk roller bearings and this year I am going to put the header on its back and replace all the knives. while it is on its back I am going to change all the oil as well. The biggest thing to watch is how the knives are and if there is a lot of play.

·
Registered
566 Posts
look right behinde the stalk rolls and under the gathering chains the plate of steel will crack out and in heavy corn suck down into the stalk rolls and really wreck nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts