The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering how bad of a job it is to replace that triangle piece that is located at the rear of the deck plates that looks like its welded to the auger pan?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Re: 1063 fixing something i dont know what its cal

I'd say it's quite a job because the previous owners of our 1083 welded up old sickle sections to make up for all the sheetmetal that wore out. I don't think you can take that piece off without removing the hoods and rear sprockets, but it's been a while since I've looked at it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

ya i wasnt for sure it kinda looks like a pain to do

·
Registered
619 Posts

Take the part and correctly position it over top of the old one on the header and lay a bead of weld across the top, grind off any rough edges and go back to harvesting. Don't bother to take the head apart and cut the old one off and reweld the new one in from the back side it is a waste of time. BTDT (Been There Done That)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

The sickle sections on ours don't seem to cause a lot of problems. We replaced the deck plates last year and had to trim the corners off some of them to clear, but other than that... I honestly don't know if it makes much difference whether or not that piece is there. The rows that haven't had anything done to them don't give any more or less trouble than the rest.

With the shape our header is in I don't think it's worth trying to fix, anyway. Most of the row units have a big crack in that plate labeled 1, starting at the sprocket and moving left (in relation to the diagram) for a few inches before turning and going straight down to the deck plate. We welded them up; hopefully we can get a couple more years out of it before it falls apart completely.

·
Registered
619 Posts

No, no problems with feeding by welding the new piece over the old one. Like I said just grind the top so there are no sharp or rough edges and it will work fine. The new "triangle" has to have a similar angle on it to the old one to work properly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ya we bought new triangle pieces like 6 years ago and never really got around to it or felt like doing it dad only has a few acres of dryland that he does but i picked up some irrigated land to rent so i felt like it should be fixed at least where the ones are completely gone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts