The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new on here and I know this is an unusual question but has anyone used a 1083 or similar head for twin row corn? Got the planter last year and after 70 acres I gave up and rented a gleaner with a drago and life was good. I am thinking i need to make the deck plates shorter, has anyone ever tried that, maybe make new ones without the beveled edge to reduce plugging? Any different ideas would be helpful

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a set of flat deck plates 1" shorter than the original beveled ones and it seemed to work great so I cut an inch off of the original beveled ones for now and it works awesome now but i can't decide if flat or beveled is better, there is less corn behind the row with flat deck plates but that row is also a little trashy at times in the header

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weather here has been really chilly, I have had some extra time in the shop with the corn head. I am happy with how shortening the deck plates has turned out but when it is warm I ran into some more troubles. I have a few things to blame but nothing pinpointed. The first problem is that I tend to have corn wedge into a pile between the snouts primarily on the end rows, I am running with GVL II poly and I think it is too wide at the top rear part of it but this may also be caused by the header running too fast because the ears seem to be plucked too far forward so I am trying some larger idlers on the gathering chains, stagering the different and I ordered a 26t and a 30t drive sprockets. As of right now it has 35t sprockets. I am also considering setting it up to cut sunnies and I think speed will be really important. Any suggestions will be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
You will be the "go to " Guy on twin row corn heads in the near future. I did a little research on the twin rows after you explained it to me and find it interesting. After all the replanting I did this spring a lot of my rows look like that with out trying ..lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our Geringhoff Rota Disc chopping head has worked well on our JD 9550 Sidehill machine for six years now with no modifications. Twin row corn planted with GP YP1225 planter. Just stripped all the cob saver pieces off of it for less plugging in down corn. The inside surfaces of the snouts are wearing a little thin at their widest point now and will need replacement soon. We cut over 1500 acres a year with it. This head has more aggressive gathering chains on it with the paddles staggered to keep the cobs moving better into the head. Time to switch the cutting knives on it end for end now also after six years of use. Have heard there are snouts out there with metal reinforcement plates at the wide part too for longer wear in twin row corn. We love our twin row corn and have seen significant yield increases over previous single row plantings. We also plant about 1000 acres of twin row soybeans a year. What a dream to cut. Divider points run in the gap between two sets of twin rows. No dragging or slugging the machine. Cutting with JD 625 Hydra Flex head. Planting with Case IH 500T air seeder this year and Krause drill prior years. Sprayer also drives between the rows thus damaging less plants. They canopy over very quickly resulting in less competition from weeds.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The road I am stuck on is if I go to a different head I think I will be forced to go to a six row, I am in wheat country so I just got 3 souped up 1480s and we hire about 5 combines to help us cut. We bag all the wheat so the cutters give me a good price and I don't need anyone to drive a truck. These combines with headers for me cost less then the down payment on a new macdon let alone the combine, I just am too cheap to get newer combines that could lift a 8row of another brand, corn is relitively new new here, and we only plant between 750-1250 acres a year here, and yields generally are around 120-140 around here, and with the prices I don't think I'll be planting more than 200 next year. Thanks for the info about the Geringhoff, I have been looking for a 6 row drago, Deere or a North Star, our seed master drill seems to like a little stalk standing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.