The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 580 Steiger with 2400eng hours. I was looking over tractor noticed a oil film around the rubber boot between turbo and intercooler on left side of engine. Going to pull boot and piping off and inspect things but it looks like a possible turbo failure. Anybody have any experience with this? The tractor has lived an easy life pulling an 66ft air drill and runs 60-75% engine load 98% of the time. It’s been in cold storage for the past 4 months but ran fine when we put it away.
62BDBE26-B1C0-4B5C-8F03-0788E8720B41.jpeg

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Would have it ran any time with a really plugged filter? That can pull oil by the compressor seals when it’s idling and look pretty bad. Goes away after the filter issue is resolved. Other than that then it could be the compressor seal alright.

·
Registered
714 Posts
the crank case vent system is screwing up, had 500hd with similar issue,plugged the air to air with oilly tar mixture. It cause all kinds of codes and power issues, after $10,000 at RME and still not fixed. I it took home. Gutted the ccv system and put to atmosphere, been good ever since. The ccv is plumbed into the intake side of turbo,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the crank case vent system is screwing up, had 500hd with similar issue,plugged the air to air with oilly tar mixture. It cause all kinds of codes and power issues, after $10,000 at RME and still not fixed. I it took home. Gutted the ccv system and put to atmosphere, been good ever since. The ccv is plumbed into the intake side of turbo,
Did you have to replace your intercooler or were you able to clean it? I’ve changed the ccv filter every 1000hrs. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary on the last change. I think I still have the old used filter in the filter bin. How did you go about venting to the atmosphere?

·
Registered
714 Posts
flushed with solvent many times, took line from ccv to turbo and ran beside the axle. Been fine two years now, there is a assist with cnh (that nobody reads ) about this and a $2000.00 retro kit

·
Registered
224 Posts
LTO how long has it been since you changed the ccf? I would pull the filter out and look at it the pleats should not be bulging or disfigured. There is a check valve in the ccf cover that attaches to the hose that has stuck on a few machines around here causing excessive crank case pressure. You can replace the cover fairly easily I would also get a hose it’s a b*tch to get off the cover. You can test the crank case pressure if you have a manometer if you want I could get you the specs just let me know. Typically what happens is the filter gets plugged or the check valve gets stuck and the crank case pressure builds. The weakest link is the turbo seal and when there is back pressure on the oil return from the turbo the oil leaks past the compressor seal and into the intake making a mess. Usually just fix the breather system and everything is fine if it goes on for awhile there is a chance you will tar the inter coolers. You should be able to see the fins easy enough from the top it sounds like you caught it pretty early so I suspect it’s fine.

I believe the spec is under full load and rated RPM the reading should be less then 8-12 inches of water with a fully functional crankcase breather system but will double check if I remember in the morning. This reading is taken from the oil fill cap in the valve cover you have to add a nipple to it to hook up your gauge. If the crank case valve is stuck shut the pressure will build and build even at 1200 RPM no load. If your not getting an alarm or engine fault I highly doubt you will find high crank case pressure. If your crank case pressure remains low it could be a bad turbo seal however the ccf filter or valve has been far more common. Sorry for the lengthy post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts