The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
We run a 12-30 JD on our 2188 and had to add weights (full set that came off a 7220 magnum around 1600lbs.) and put fluid in the rear tires. it does it, but i have to use the brakes to turn. I would assume your g.hoff is heavier yet. Is your 2388 12 row ready? We have broke a couple of the adjusting rods on the front of the feederhouse because we couldn't get the bolts with the long holes tight enough to hold. Don't mean to be a downer, but we just haven't had good luck. We are in the market for an 8010, we found several a couple years old with less than 1000 hrs. that aren't different in price from 2388's and are twice the machine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don`t know about this. A 12 row 2212 weighs about 7-8000. A gerringhoff will be heavier.A2388 will handle a 2212 alright with 12 row package. The fan gear case behind the right inspection door is an issue with chopper heads. You need to change that oil from 140 to 75/90 synthetic if you go this route to cool the gearcase better. I`m with kdo305 look for an 8010 it`s a 12 row machine the 88`s really aren`t when you compare grain elevators.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
you need 3 cylinders on the feeder house if you don't already. And you'll need weight in the back. maybe not as much if you have rear wheel assist. they also put an updated or 'heavy duty' feeder jackshaft tightener as well as feeder house drive tightener. it may be standard equipment on 2388, though?our 2188 has two sprocket choices on the clean grain elevator, if yours does, make sure it's on the faster one. i'm no expert, but these are the things i've dealt with so far. if our 2188 does it, i know yours will. good luck to you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Geringhoff 12R30" head weighs in at 7850 lbs. If the 2388 is 12 row ready it will handle it like any other 12R head out there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We just set up our 2377 and 88 for draper heads, the 35' weighs about 7400 lbs, the 2377 has 4WD with 18.4x26 rear tires and even though it lifted it fine (after adding a 3rd cylinder) the weight of the 4WD unit kept the back end down, I was told we can add 68 gals of washer fluid to them so that will give it about 560lbs + or - per tire and I think that machine will have enough weight to handle the 30' draper which weighs around 7000. The 2388 on the other hand is 2WD with 14.9x24 tires and just gently going into reverse the rear end came up, steering was not possible without using the brakes forward or in reverse. Those tires I was told can have about 40 gals in them for around 475 lbs each, I don't think that will be enough weight so a weight bracket will have to be added. Hope this helps somewhat since the 12 row is similar in weight to the 35' draper we just mounted up.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Something to think about if you have any 1/2 mi rows and make more then 195 bu/acre you would not be able to make a pass with out spilling grain even if you have the tip ups for 350 bu total tank capacity. With a 12 row head and 350 bushels in the bin that is alot of strain on the drivetrain that it isn't designed for. And the elevator leg has already been mentioned, it becomes a bottle neck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
not being able to make it to the other end of the field because of good yields sounds like a good problem-
I have done this before, you stop before your full, back up and cut over so your tractor and cart can get next to you. You have to do this a couple of time in the field, but once you have your "lands" cut out you can unload anytime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts