The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been around a 2588 in corn with a 12 row head? We demoed a 7010 this past season and were not impressed with the sample. It might have been the dealers settings. We also have a neighbor that has an '05 8010 and they are trading it and going with a deere because of the constant electrical problems with the CVT. They told us to stay away from a 10 series

·
Registered
463 Posts
You will not be happy with the 2588 after demoing the 7010.
The 2588 will be fine with a 12 row head. The 7010 will be able to handle the 12 row better and be more stable.
The sample problem is wrong settings.
I haven't heard of the electrical problems with the CVT. If you can could you get specifics on there problems for the rest of us?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were having trouble with the rotor speed increasing as the ground speed did. The rotor was saying it was going a certain speed and it would not be running nearly as fast as it was set for. We just like the simplicity of the the old case ih design and want a machine that would run a 12 row. Our local dealer says a 12 row ready 2588 will handle one fine since we really dont have any hills to climb. We only want to run 3.5 to 4 mph. I think we can still get a good sample with this set up

·
Registered
105 Posts
You will get along fine with a 25, I have a friend that has been running a 12 row 1000 series since the 21s came out. They don't set any speed records but they shell alot of corn. Pull every other wire and just remember that your clean grain is maxxed out around 3100 and dont let the paddle chain get loose.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I agree. You won't be happy with a 12 row on the 88 series after running a 7010. They aren't made for it, no matter what salesman tells you. As far as sample, something was wrong, they have the best sample you'll find. If you go green, you might as well save your money and buy a 9600, because from what i've seen, thats all the capacity the new ones have in corn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We ran a 2388 and 2212 for one year . Everyone said that it would be too much for it and we would be running 2mph.We were able to run 3.5 -4.0. The big thing is that the corn was all 20% and below. this yr would have been a struggle as the corn never got below 22%.
Having said that we were talked into trading it for a yr old 8010. The 8010 was a pleasure to run after a week of getting used to the differences. If I was looking at a machine i would seriously look at the 7010 for that 12 row. You will gain the xtra clean grain capacity ,self leveling sieves ,and the machine will just plain handle the weight of the head much better.
How much $ difference are they talking? In my case I could trade for the 8010 for the same as the 7010.
Ohh we had only a broken unload chain this yr !!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I ran a 2388 witha 2212 on it before the 8010. it's a struggle no matter what anyone says. 7010 way better choice. your neighbors will be disapointed with their new combine after a 8010. unless theri green lovers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The local dealer is getting prices on a new 7088 compared to the new 2588. In our operation we would be overmatched with the 8010. Our neighbors got a really good deal or they say on a 9870. It will be their first green machine ever. Does the 7088 have any more capacity than a 2588 beside horsepower?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So basically the 7088 is the same machine internally with more horsepower and different unload system. What does everyone mean the 2588 will struggle with a 12 row. If we keep it at 3,000 bu/hr which the clean grain elevator is rated at we should be fine. It has more sieve area than a deere so we should be able to get a good sample unless i am thinking wrong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey by all means get what your most comfortable with. It looks like that is a 2588!! I would just price both before making a decision? How long do you plan on keeping it? Yes maybe an 8010 would be considered a 6000bu/hr machine but we ran any where from 2500bu/hr-4500 and the sample never changed!!! Most of us on average run 3000-3500bu/hr over the course of a day !!!I have rarely went fast enough to get 4000-4500bu/hr.Not that it won't but we don't need to. Just wanted you to know that these machines will do just fine at 3000. I like knowing that if I need to go faster or get into tough conditions that I have the machine to do so as long as the price is reasonable

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stx ryan what year is your 8010? We will look at them as well but we heard they had a lot of problems early on. Im sure they have gotten the problems worked out of them. It is good to hear that u dont have to load the machine clear up to still get a good sample.

·
Registered
67 Posts
07 model with around 480 sep. hrs. We did more acres with this machine and approx 40 less hrs than we put on the 12 row ready 2388. We very rarely saw the power% above 85%. I know they tell you at school to run at 100% but my god that would be going 6mph!! We like the 4-5mph range better. Good luck with your choice!!

Ohh,by the way the grain saver on the unload auger is still a joke on this machine . hopefully it is fixed for this year!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
We traded our 2188 for a used 2005 8010 with 750hrs on it about 2 years ago. We have not looked back since. We think it was one of the best decisions we made. We run a 2006 2412 and a 2007 2020 35ft. We are looking into getting a 40ft 2162. As for it being too big probably not so much. Last year in 2008 we were tilling about 1,100 acres. !n 2007 when we bought the 8010 we were tilling about 1,300 acres. In 2006 when we had the 2188 we were tilling about 1,750 acres. We thought the 8010 would be bigger than we needed too. We were planning on getting a new 7010, but the dealer gave us a good price on the used 8010. We were running 2 semis, but we just bought a dump trailer to run 3. We are also looking at buying a grain cart to run in Iowa. We will also be tilling about 1,500 acres in Iowa this year. Good luck in what ever you do. We have got done faster since we had the 8010 and had cleaner samples. We used to have to rent another combine from time to time, but now we don't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.