The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in headers earlier. I am looking for any others that have had the welds break out of the auger finger rock shaft where the cam is welded on. When it breaks it tears the tin out the front of the feeder house and shears all fingers off one Side of the header and spits them out the front onto the ground. :mad: I've never had this happen to my f30s or my f535s or my f540s but this has happened three times on my 1200 maxflexs now. I noticed that the hole in the cam the shaft goes into is off center 1/8". I think this hole being off puts the cam off center causeing it to flex a little all the time eventually breaking it out. I think there was a problem at the factory and these are defective. Any others with this same problem?:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a MY '11 1050, and have had the same problem. Late one evening in tough edibles, a wad from the end of the head came to the center, and all fingers from failure in to the center hanger were lost.
Culprit was the weld between shaft and cam. repaired the one, and have not had an issue since.
Perhaps a good winter project might be complete disassembly, inspection and re-weld... Max-Flex heads are made in Hungary, but maybe the welders were a little Scottish with the wire?

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading this post I couldn't sit back and not reply as I too had this happen. I had just got this 1200 maxflex 2011 and was happy with it compared to my old 540 until the destruction started. It sounded like it was flying to pieces (because it actually was) and before I shut it off almost every finger on one side lay on the ground or on the knife. My feeder house shield was half ripped off by the center flighting but now I realize it started by the fingers grabbing it first. Looking inside the auger I could see the one end of the finger shaft was not held in place causing it to float freely inside the auger causing the fingers to come out of time. I was actually able to finish off the beans as it was with no fingers. Its too bad I like this header on my 480 as it has a better knife angle then my 540 had, now I have some fixing to do.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have an '11 year 1050 and have had zero breakdowns in three years with it.

What year is your header?
Same here 4th crop with 1050 maxflex since 11 and no breakdowns however this does warrant a really good inspection to see if there is any cracks showing on these welds this winter.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The 1200 i have never had that issue either... Is there maybe something that isnt adjusted the same from one side to the other? Maybe both augers are not true one to the other or maybe auger fingers arent set for same crop height side to side??? Just guessing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both sides of the header are set the same. When cams are welded back on,auger fingers are in time with each other. Auger looks square in the head against stripper plates. I think the problem is the hole in the cam on some of these 1200 maxflex heads was off at manufacturer. I pulled the inspection cover off a f540 head to check it, And auger finger shaft was in the center of the cam on the f 540. Next time one breaks can you all measure that hole the shaft is welded into? Check if it is centered?

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a 1050 that is doing the same thing. Broke nearly every shaft in the RH side if the auger. Tonight we broke the first one on the LH side. The hole on the one that is broke right now is a 1/16 off center. Claas needs to pick up the tab on this deal @ $750 a pop every time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Has anyone got any results from claas on these defective welds on their max flex heads auger finger crankshaft breaking?

Had another one go today. Was combining along in perfect dry conditions and all of a sudden it grenades itself again. Spitting all the fingers out front on the ground after tearing the tin out of the front of the feed house.

I have talked to claas reps about this. I was told they would talk to the right person and get back to me. So far I haven't heard from anyone. So here we are at harvest again with the same old problems.

You can see by the rust on the end of the shaft that weld was barely penetrated into the shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a MY '11 1050, and have had the same problem. Late one evening in tough edibles, a wad from the end of the head came to the center, and all fingers from failure in to the center hanger were lost.
Culprit was the weld between shaft and cam. repaired the one, and have not had an issue since.
Perhaps a good winter project might be complete disassembly, inspection and re-weld... Max-Flex heads are made in Hungary, but maybe the welders were a little Scottish with the wire?

Ken
Reading this post I couldn't sit back and not reply as I too had this happen. I had just got this 1200 maxflex 2011 and was happy with it compared to my old 540 until the destruction started. It sounded like it was flying to pieces (because it actually was) and before I shut it off almost every finger on one side lay on the ground or on the knife. My feeder house shield was half ripped off by the center flighting but now I realize it started by the fingers grabbing it first. Looking inside the auger I could see the one end of the finger shaft was not held in place causing it to float freely inside the auger causing the fingers to come out of time. I was actually able to finish off the beans as it was with no fingers. Its too bad I like this header on my 480 as it has a better knife angle then my 540 had, now I have some fixing to do.
Are you serial numbers under 100 by chance?

I recently made a discovery that the holes that the auger fingers exit the auger are also off and are not in time with each other. This causes a binding and twisting of the crankshaft every revolution. There is a timing issue with theses early heads. Just trying to find out at what serial number break did this issue get resolved.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you serial numbers under 100 by chance?

I recently made a discovery that the holes that the auger fingers exit the auger are also off and are not in time with each other. This causes a binding and twisting of the crankshaft every revolution. There is a timing issue with theses early heads. Just trying to find out at what serial number break did this issue get resolved.
We have a 1050 that is doing the same thing. Broke nearly every shaft in the RH side if the auger. Tonight we broke the first one on the LH side. The hole on the one that is broke right now is a 1/16 off center. Claas needs to pick up the tab on this deal @ $750 a pop every time.
Have you got an answer from claas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our serial number is 102. Model Year '11, I believe.

Only had the one issue on the left side. Neglected to do "the winter project disassembly and check", but we just did a few miserably tough oats with lots of reversing and lived through it...

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.