The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at upgrading my trucking this year. 90% is field to home. Should I be looking for a 13 or 18spd truck to pull a tridem hopper trailer? 85% will be gravel country roads. Lot better selection and in budget with a 13spd.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
If your going to be in the field I would definatley go with a 18. It is so much easier to drive when the fields are soft because you can split the bottom end and shift without grinding or coming to a stop because you missed the shift.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I think 18 are at a premium because they are normally speced a little heavier also from what I see. I prefer the 18 but a 13 works well also. Find a truck you like and don't worry if it's only got a 13 in it

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have an 18 spd eaton ultra shift. It works real well in all conditions soft fields etc.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The real question is not the tranny, both the 13 and 18 are great...
The engine in front of the transmission is much more important... This thread is not asking the difference between a 7spd and a 18...

Get a big Cummins or Cat... More torque motor then a Detroit... But it really matters what kind of power you will have.

·
Registered
592 Posts
An 18 speed has a lower gear for better startability. Low gear on an 18 speed is 14.40:1 and a 13 is 12.31:1 . 18 speed has a almost 17% lower first gear. we have both and the 18 is definately better even though the rear axle ratio is a lot faster than the one in our 13.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh please. Give me a 14.0 Detroit. Cheap to fuel, run, maintain and rebuild. Series 60 all the way.

Any doubt go to www.ss60pd.com and let Eric tune her up. A Cat or Cummins cant touch a Detroit series 60 for cost of ownership.

Adam

Maybe that has a lot to say where you are from. There are a bunch of s60 around here that are injector eaters because they dont stand up to what a super b needs. if your gvw is 80000# i wouldnt be scared of one either. heck i would even consider an m11.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
That is debatable... But a 14l Detroit from 02?-05 is a great engine... But as far as power... Not likely...
I drive over the road, and the one thing I can say about a cat, is it doesn't leave you stranded.... (Pre-2004)
650+- horsepower getting 6.8 winter and 8.2 summer,,, pulling 47k on a flatbed,, from Wi to Denver...
Its all about the driver...

·
Registered
880 Posts
with that horsepower i'd try to get a 18 speed, splitting bottom on soft fields is nice.
I have to say our detroit is indeed our cheapest engine to run, but are indeed piss poor for performance lol but ya it has an 18 speed for that reason.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
with that horsepower i'd try to get a 18 speed, splitting bottom on soft fields is nice.
I have to say our detroit is indeed our cheapest engine to run, but are indeed piss poor for performance lol but ya it has an 18 speed for that reason.
Total agree, that is why you would need to look at the engine first.
Horsepower won't break things... A cowboy will...

·
Registered
219 Posts
18 speed is the best, gives you an easier time for getting rolling over soft fields but you can get by with the 13. What kind of rear end ratio are you looking at? What duramaximizer says about Detroit series 60 is true but the big Cummins or Cat will give you more grunt. If your going 13 speed, look for lower rear end ratio and more power.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.