The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone here have ever taken a 8820 for either of the 14/16XX.

On the deere site someone was talking about how great the 8820 was.......

he must not have had wet conditions considering they didn't have a two speed hydro and those suckers were very heavy...

·
Registered
998 Posts
2 totally different machines - ones conventional and ones rotary. I would imagine resale value would be better for the 14/16** than the 8820 - same as here in australia. Also easier and better to work on, can pretty much harvest anything with minimal changes. The list goes on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
JD I think made a good combine with the 20 series,but just look at 1 and you will see a 14 or 16 is sooooooo much simpler to work on,and no stinking straw wakers to deal with,I would stay with the red paint,and after 38 years of red paint I may be just partial to my love of red.
Just my 2 cents
JPK

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, well ive had deeres from 55 to4400,6600,7700,7720 never had an 88 but then 3 years ago my boy (farmerson)talked me into letting him buy anold 79 1460.......wellafter 2 seasons of watching him run cicles around the 7720 i finally bought a 1993 1688,,,wow what a difference,,,shame i didnt figure this out 20 years ago.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 1460 and can run way past dark with it you just have to slow down a bit and not run like you were going to a fire like you can in the day. The JD's are good combines but look at the grain quality with the Deeres the IH's do a lot better as far a grain quality.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've cut wheat in some pretty damp conditions with a 1480 and 1680. Like farmerson said, you do have to slow down or risk plugging the rotor or breaking a belt. However, our summer nights are usually quite dry so we can run well after dark with no problems. I actually preferred running the 1480 at night because it had noticeably more horsepower when the air cooled off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry, before you spout off you maybe should have ridden in an 8820. Four (yes 4) ranges for the hydro tranny. In wheat country the rotaries die after sundown and or tough damp straw. Both red and green. Just bringing you up to 1989 technology

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
even if you had to shut down at nightfall which i prefer to do since we cut ALOT of terraces, you will still cut so much more with the 14/1680 by that time that you could go home go to bed and laugh at the sleep deprived 8820 opperator trying to harvest as much as you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts