The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.......I think it's time to pull the trigger. I have been looking for about a year or two now trying to decide between Green or Red. Green has 2 dealers within about 20 miles Red has a new dealer about 30 miles away.

Currently, I have a day job that keeps me busy on the road. I farm during the weekends.

Small acreage only 60 acres, been planting soybeans and some wheat. No plans for corn I am a one man show with no help.
Possibly moving up to 100- 150 acres for beans only in a few years when I get off the road.....

Custom combine man (Has Red)may be getting out of the business.

Never operated a combine so I am looking for the easiest to maintain and learn on. I don't want to get too old of a machine since I plan to keep it for a while. I have been told AC is a must, also looking for a buddy seat for mama / grand kids.

The wife said a neighbor has a 1460 for sale. Price unknown right now.

Is it better to stay in the 1620 /1640 (6600)size or go bigger 1660 / 1680 (7720)???
I plan to have a dealer mechanic look over whatever I decide on.
Also what size flex head should I be looking at? I have no hills....I am on flatland.

Thanks all,
Bartman

·
Registered
589 Posts
16 series has a buddy seat. 14 series doesn't. Stay away from 1420/1620. I've heard parts are getting hard to come by. I bought a 1660 8 yrs ago and it was the first combine I had ever been around. It's very easy to work on. Most everything is easy to get to. Also rotor combines are easy to run and set. They can be very forgiving on their settings. Either a 14/1640 or a 14/1660 would do you well. A 14/1680 would be way overkill for your operation plus require a bigger (more expensive) header. A 20 foot 1020 would go well with the 40/60 combines but it may be a little too much for a 1440. The 16 series will be a little more expensive than the 14 series and you probably want one with a specialty rotor. I've looked at a lot of combines the last decade and I believe that these two series of combines are some of the easiest to work on. I can send you a pm of all the repairs I've done the last 8 yrs if you want. It should give you an idea of what to look for on a used combine. I would definately spend a little more money and try to find one that has been well maintained.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have never had a 6000 or 7000 series so I can not speak on them. We have had a 1480, 1482, 1660, 1682, and currently have a 1680 and a 2388. There is not a part on these combines I have not worked on or replaced aside from the engines and most of the electronics. I'm also an electrician so a few years back a mouse got in the 1680 and chewed all the wires so our dealer emailed me all the wiring diagrams and I had everything fixed in an afternoon. Even the 23 has many of the same parts so parts are always easy to get. The 2388 also set's the same with more bells and whistles so once you get a feel for it you just put her where she needs to be...and go. I feel very confident knowing if we ever do have a problem during harvest I can get the machine going in half a day or less. I have been very happy with these machines over the last 25 years so I would guess so would you. I'm sure the Deere's have their good points too, but I love my axials !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
robmgrig,

PM sent..............

Next Question Guys.....

While looking around last night I found an interesting web site on used Case equipment.........http://www.equipmentalley.com/main/caseihused

Was wondering if that could possibly be an option, it seems like the combine can be purchased from one dealer ,then shipped to your local dealer.

I see some interesting deals on machine in the Midwest / Western states. How does one go about verifying the actual condition of machinery over 500- 700 miles away. Buying a combine sight unseen seems suicidal for your first combine.

Bartman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts