The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm going to look at a 1420 and a 1440 next week and was wondering what to look for...both machines have 3000 hours and change...the 1440 has 4x4...i will harvest no more than 50 acres a year and my crops will be oats, wheat, barley, soy beans and perhaps canola. the 1440 comes with a 17.5 foot 1020 flex and the 1420 comes with a 15 foot 1020 flex...What should I be looking for as far as the heads because the prices aren't even close for the 2. Thanx

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would go for 1440. Previous vechile i had 1440. Without 4x4 and with 17.5feet head. Was beast in field. Weak spot was gearbox. People are talking that they wear out every 2500 hours. Mine had near it and had to replace bearings.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Even though both are old I would think parts for the 1440 will be a lot easier to find....I did get to run a 1420 experiment that had a duped up 1480 engine in it that case was playing with had it for almost a week that thing would go 32 with a full tank I think I was about 14 at the time glad I never killed it or me....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Even though both are old I would think parts for the 1440 will be a lot easier to find....
I would agree with that, the 20 series wasn't made very long. The threshing system parts for a 40 series should all be the same as a 60 series, the rotors were the same size just had less HP and some of the other stuff was a little different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree these machines are getting up there in age but for the acreage we do im hoping to get many years out of it...wish i had a bigger budget lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the 1440 check the frame that runs across from one final drive to the other. Mine broke, and the was the last gasp for the old 1440. Often times you'll see cracks on that big tube steel, or a spot where they have been patched and welded. If you see that, stay away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a 1620. I used this check list when I was looking at 16xx combines.
most the information should help you on the 14xx series.

good luck!

Duane

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts