The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying 1440 that has 16.5ft flex head. Will it handle a 24ft ridgid head?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What are you going to be harvesting with it and what kind of yields do you expect? From my experience with a 1480 pushing a 24' 810 in wheat I'd say you're better off with the 16.5'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend has the 24ft that i was going to mainly use in wheat ranging from 30 to 50 bushel per acre. Was going to use the 16.5 for soybeans or maybe see if i could find a 20 ft flex.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you are sure the 24ft. will match up to your combine I think you will be alright. In good wheat and when the conditions are a little tough you might be going a little slow, but that doesn't hurt anything. A turbo and a little more fuel would always help the situation!!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
That's going to be a lot of weight out front. Does the machine have a rock beater? Better look at the weight and compare it to your flex. You may need weight on the rear axle, and if you have a rock beater, you may not be able to lift the 24'er. I dont know how the finals would handle it either with a full tank of wheat. I certainly would'nt want to run it on much of a hill. JMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have had a 1440 and 1460 both with 24' header they work just find if your in some tall hard red winter wheat depending on wich breed she may go slooow but that is still far from the end of the world I have not ever noticed a wieght problem with that big of head and I don't ..din't have any weights have some deceint hills..... how mcuh do you have to give for a 1440 these days I still have my 1460 that I use if I can actually scrong up enough help wich is not that often so I keep contemplating on getting rid of her. and just run the 88....good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 1440 non turbo standard rotor and a caseih 1640 with cummings 5.9 turbo with spec. rotor, with a 1020 20' head. I think the 1440 handled it better. I just bought a 1666 to replace them and im gonna put the 1020 20' on it. The other combines couldnt handle the green stem soybeans very well and i plan on spraying fungicide on them this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts