The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1440 combine. Thinking of buying a 1986 1680. Would like some input from people who have 1680s. The 1680 has 2100 hrs on it and seems in good condition

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
An 86' with only 2100 hours? In good shape? Has this thing been kept in a shed? If so,........
you'll not like it. Probably best to tell me where it is so I can get rid of it so you dont have to worry about it anymore......

I dont combine corn and beans, but I went from a 1440 and 1460 to the 1987 1680 we have now. For the crops I run and the climate I am in, it is a fine machine. I would'nt trade it for the world. It has become part of the family. 3300 hours and still going hard.

You can long shoe the machine as a bolt on deal with mostly used parts now.
The brakes suck just as bad as the ones on your 1440.
I'm sure it has a feeder reverser. If it is the stock electric one, it sucks.
The transmission will likely want to drift out of second gear. There are many fixes for it, but I simply changed out the oil to the hy-tran ultra and have had virtually no more drifting out of gear.
If it does'nt allready have it, invest in the feeder chain return roller setup. It will quiet down the feeder and you wont have to worry about the return rails on the feederhouse anymore.
The concave hanger on the right side is greatly improved over the 14xx series.

They're a fine machine. You'll really like the cab filter not being under the door, but it is now in a pita to get to for service spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that you will really enjoy the 1680, especially after having the 1440. I upgraded from a 1981 1440 to a 1989 1680 last fall and it is like night and day. The 1680 has so much more capacity and I know that the 1020 header really helps out too because they feed better than the 820 header that I had before.

My 1680 had 2300 hours on it last fall when we bought it and had a lot of work done inside (pretty much every threshing and seperating part inside) so it was in very good shape. I know that all the work that the machine had done inside has made a lot of difference and the addition of the electronic controls makes my day a lot less stressful especially in soybeans. Before with the 1440 I had always done a little bit of custom work locally for other neighbors, but the 1680 has allowed me take on more custom jobs which has helped to pay a lot of bills and make its payments. It has made it even better for me since I teach high school ag and so I was always fighting to get the fall crops out after getting done at school each day. The 1680 has helped me to not be so worried because I have 4wd now and the new parts allow me to cut a little bit later into the dark so I can get done.

I don't think that if it looks to be in good shape and with those low hours that you could really go wrong with that upgrade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On our farm we had both a 1440 and a 1680 before we switched to deeres. Both machines ran very well. We had almost 5000hrs on both machines and decided to trade. I got the 1680 hot one day in milo and it started burning oil pretty bad every day. I think you'll like the 1680. I miss mine when that green one breaks down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts