The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, We where in the process of moving yesterday when the drive train started slipping and popping. We could back-up with out it popping but could not go forward w/o it slipping raising ^@[email protected]$.
So we took off the hydrostatic motor off the transmission think is was the coupling between the transmission and hydrostatic motor. Wrong it was fine. we check the coupling between the finial drives and transmission and they are fine..
The thing is it will back fine, so I don't think it would be the transmission. Also it does it in all three gears.

Anybody had this issue w/ there machine?

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
You have a bearing out of the tranny. Most likely on one of the change gear shafts. Pull the bubble shaped cover off the side and look at the bearings behind the gears, bet one is out. They last about 2500-3000 hrs. I recommend anyone with the small tranny (1420/1620 & 1440/1640) to put bearings in at 2500 hrs, it may seem fine but it's better than pulling it in a mud hole somewhere. TORQUE

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
ya i would check the splines my gear box went at 2800 hrs the bearing went out the caused the shaft to slide away and thecombine stopped functioning thankfully we were able to move the combine thou

·
Registered
15 Posts
Before you go to too much trouble taking the drive train apart you might want to drain the oil out of the transmission and final drives to look for metal. If you find excessive metal in any of those units you have found the culprit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All right Torgue you hit the nail on the head!! We took the tranny out today and removed top and side plates. When we removed the side plate roller bearings went everywhere. The nut on the end of the shaft was completely off. The threads on the shaft are trashed. So we will have to try to re thread it or replace it along w/ a new bearing. What do you think the shaft will cost from the dealer?
Thanks for the help and I will let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i got my gears from a wrecker and they work good i put new bearings in thou and i replaced the clutch bearing while the gearbox was off

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK put the new bearings in and re-thread the shaft.
put it back in and new runs like a new one. the gears
are changing better also.. Thanks for all the help..
I started using the in 07 and now believe it is the best
thing since sliced bread..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts