The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what is a good setting for wheat on these combines ive been having a hard time cleaning wheat and soybeans it does great in corn i set like the book calls for in the fall with my beans but never could get them clean and i figure wheat will be just as bad if not worse in help would be nice

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have 1 5/8 chaffer and 1 1/8 shoe they seem to be in good shape i wonder if i need to move the transition vanes not reel sure how
to adjust them and were they should be for differant crops do you have any outlook on that. do pepole change the sieves in wheat and beans

·
Registered
352 Posts
ya 1 1/8 will help ya in beans as well ours does a beautiful job in beans wheat and corn with that setup. we set the rotor at 900 no load and the fan at 850-900 no load, the top sieve at 1/2 inch using drill bits to check it and bottom sieve at 15/64 and that is with both 1 1/8 sieves

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
The 11/8 chaffer is a good all-purpose sieve. We've used it in just about everything. The 15/8 is supposed to offer more capacity in high yielding corn.

It's usually incredibly dirty to adjust the vanes, but it doesn't take long and sometimes an adjustment here can make a lot of difference in how the machine performs. We usually run the vanes in the fast position for wheat, but by default they're set in the medium position from the factory. I think last year we had the vanes over the concaves in Fast and those over the grates in Medium to try to reduce rotor loss. To adjust them, loosen all those bolts on the top-left side of the rotor cage (above the concaves). Tap on them with a hammer to move them; raked all the way toward the rear of the machine is Fast, almost straight up and down is Slow. Having them in Slow holds the crops in the rotor cage longer; that can help with threshing but can also increase horsepower requirements.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so they vanes need to be in the fast poisition for wheat over the grates and concaves what about soybeans were do they need to be for that crop im not reel sure were there at now but in corn it does great the machine will clean corn wonderful it just sucks with the beans so if you could tell were to poisition the front and rear vanes for corn beans and wheat it will be great thanks for your time

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I can't tell you where they should be, as every situation is different, but generally speaking, having the vanes in Fast kicks the material through the cage quicker, which reduces horsepower requirements (and subsequently fuel usage) and lessens rumbling in tough conditions. However, threshing might be worse since the crop doesn't stay in the rotor as long. Running in slow can help thresh small grains better (but can cause more cracking in corn), but if the crop gets thick or green you have a better chance of plugging the rotor. Medium is just a happy balance between the two.

It's something you'll have to play with. I always thought if you got a lot done on the first day of harvest then you either got lucky setting the machine the first time, or you should have spent more time working on it. I would put them in Fast for now, but if rotor losses are excessive or you're getting a lot of unthreshed heads it might pay to put them in Medium. For corn, try Medium and see what happens. I'm not an expert on beans, but I'd say Fast if the stems are tough, Medium if not. Like I said before, it doesn't take a lot of time to adjust them, just keep some clean water or an air compressor handy to clean yourself off after.

To tell where your vanes are at, there should be a hole in the rotor cage between the first and second bolt on each vane. This hole corresponds to a hole in the vane, and when those are lines up that signifies the Medium position. Kick the bottom of the vane to the front of the combine for Fast, move it to the rear for Slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts