The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 78 1440. The previous owner added a rock trap but didn't add the cylinder extensions. It wasn't a problem for him since he didn't have any head carts and combine never left his farm. My problem is that I can't raise the head up far enough to hook and unhook heads. I have looked up the part number and there are two different ones. One is 8.27" long and the other is 12.23" long. My feeder house is 47". The part books calls for the 8.27" with 47" feeder house with rock trap. The factory extensions currently on it is 6.5". I feel like the 8.27" extensions won't add much, but the 12.23" extensions might create a bind when raising the head. Which one should I get? Anyone have any experience? Sorry for the long post, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I could be wrong be wrong don't imagine it would be hard to fab up some extensions yourself. You could try the 12 if you don't think the 8 is enough and if it doesn't work just cut it shorter? I personally think 8" is plenty but it's hard to say from this side of a screen haha.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have thought about buying some 3" ID tubing and going that route. Ideally, I would like to try 10" pipe with 8" center holes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts