The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my machine up and as soon as It cranked, the engine reved out of
control. Key would not shut off the engine. 10 seconds into it, oil began shooting out the exhaust and it started billowing thick grey smoke. The engine stayed reved about 30 seconds then Began idling at normal rpm still billowing smoke. I shut off the fuel line as the key shutoff would not respond. 30 or so seconds later it sputterd and began to die. After it stoped I checked the oil and it was nearly empty. But there were no signs of metal or anything unusual about the consistency of the oil. I haven't been able to check the turbo yet. And the engine still seems to be free. Haven't tried putting oil back in and starting it tho. What happend? Fuel pump ran away? Turbo sucked the oil out? Over rev caused oil to blow by? Any leads on were to start much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
I would check the turbo seals first. Sounds like it was running on oil rather than diesel so the key switch wouldn't shut it down since it had a different fuel source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check turbo, replace turbo, replace oil and filters. and what else should I check for as far as unseen engine damage since it ran on oil? What would this do? Will I be able to take valve covers off and check? Could the oil have got in the injectors? On top of pistons would this hurt? Go ahead and overhaul? I was looking at in frame and out of frame kits no idea on were to start. I wish My grandfather had taught me more about diesel mechanics!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
pull intake hose off turbo, bet you got oil in there, change turbo out fill with oil, see whats happens, got nothing to lose, turbo nuts can be a sob, heat them red hot get a long candle and dip on stud, will screw right off, scott.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo went out I assume, there was oil in the intake. I got the turbo off. Any need to try anything else before replacing turbo and refilling oil and trying it out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts