The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. What was the reasoning behind the progression in the 1480s final axles, going from 3 bolt to 2 bolt, and then to one piece forged? Was it the shaft that broke, or the splines that got sloppy, or?

Basically asking if a 79' 1480 with 3 bolters on level, dry land, with only a grain platform would hold up to a bin extension?. Like a Mauer, but without the flipups.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 3-bolt axles broke the axle stub, they'd start to crack around/between the bolt holes and the stub would come apart. The single-bolt ones were quite a bit stronger, but sometimes you'd have them come loose and wreck the splines.

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I remember about the 1480 final drive housing ( besides the axle problems ) is that the design of the housing itself was weak. What I was told was that the bolt on cover plate on top of the housing offered no support for the housing and would allow the housing to flex, this caused bearing problems. Is my thinking correct on this?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right after I posted the question about the one piece axle shaft, I went to the CIH parts page and wrote down a few numbers of the main housings and axles for the 1480 (all) and the early 1680. It sounds like the 1480 housing and axles are the same and will interchange with the 1680, though for some reason, the very early 1680 had a different housing number for like 2 years. Same axle shafts and gears, just a different housing of some sort.
For some reason I was allways under the impression that the 1480s transmission was a smaller unit as well, but the parts page show it to be the same as the navistar powered 1680 anyway.

So anyway, if the final housing on the 1480 flexes because of the cover being too light and weak, which sounds entirely likely, if a guy could find a set of newer covers in a bone yard, maybe that would be a cheaper fix? I believe the covers on my 1680 are a cast affair with webbing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've heard of guys using the newer-style cast coverplates on 1480 finals, I think the bolt pattern is the same but the bolts might be smaller? I don't know for sure. I can't say that I've ever talked to anybody that broke a housing, but it does shorten the bearing life. There was a dealership over here that made a "stiffener" that was basically a big ring of 3/4" or 1" plate that went under the tin cover and out around it as far as space would allow to take some of the flex out of it. They looked like a good idea, but I'd think the cast covers would do the same thing easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.