The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking for a deal on a good old combine. Noticed an upcoming auction with a shedded NH1500 combine. It looks really nice in pictures. Can't seem to find any info about this machine though. How was the reliability? Was it an easy machine to fix in the field or perhaps there were some common issues? Also, I have looked and I can't seem to find any values on these machines. What is this thing worth?

·
Registered
625 Posts
If it was shedded it should be ok.... look at the brace near the back of the combine.. it tends to get material caught inside it and then rusts out the sheet metal. Another thing to check is the rubber dampers on the sievies and shaker pan. When they get sloppy they will knock the sieves apart. ours cracked and its a big job to take them out ... and sometimes you cant even weld it. I think for its time it had great capacity... decent sample.... and didnt lose grain out the back... I think our tx 36 is way worse for that. For a decent shape 1500 wouldnt pay over 5000

·
Registered
518 Posts
1500 dollar combine, metric, no parts, b***h to fix. Cheap capacacity if you can keep it running. They would pass most and leave a better sample in thier day. Buy 3 run 1 or 2.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rb sold 1 for 3000, 1 for 10, makes 1500 for me. As i said buy 3 run 1 or 2. Hang a for sale sign on a 1500 and dont expect many calls. Dont get me wrong, great combine in their day, it is gone. No parts, no value, make your own junkyard and you will combine cheap for years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I knew what Makar was saying it is a model 1500 and I was expecting to pay about 1500...no more. haven't checked with the local nh dealer yet. I will before buying.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was to believe the 1400-1500 were only sold in canada? Yes? No? I think the red ones like 985 were only canada. Had one.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Nope. We had ALL of the original Belgian conventionals just like you did, from the 980 to the 1500.
The TX's were mostly in Can. Only a handful were tried down here in the US, but in face of our native J.D. 9600 of equal size, the big TX's just could not compete. Add to that, the fact our own TR's had won the heart of America for NH's. The conv. NH just fell to the wayside over here.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What was hated here perhaps most of all on those old conventionals was the short feederhouse shot dust straight into the window. Took out much of the fun. What they really needed was a torque sensing clyinder drive, would of made a good capacity machine great.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Good point, Makar. I only really know the NH conventionals through operators and service manuals, as well as merely seeing a few from the road, back in the day. I never missed anything like a torque-sensing cylinder drive, since it was not there, but you're right. A big, 50-inch cyl NEEDS one!

The one thing I did notice about the old NH bines, were the profuse use of removable panels and access doors throughout the separator. Such made all manner of inspection and cleaning easier than on combines without such.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bougth my New Holland 1400 , 7 years ago at an auction for 1700$.
Stript all belts of, and replaced them, converted the wide corn head to narrow, looked after the whole thing every winter.... and harvested 200 ac soybeans,wheat and corn with it every year.

Some people buy a boat, other a sea-doo, I bought a combine...

·
Registered
625 Posts

After 15 years of service The used parts guys final took her away... Was a good combine for its day... It still thrashed better then the TX In my opinion!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts