The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if your a proud owner of one of their 16” augers I’d pull the flighting before harvest and have a exploratory look see. 2 bolts were broke/missing one flight broke all the welds and came right off the pipe, all the other flights have similar cracks. Seen a add on kijiji where another fellow was selling the old flight that was still ok off of his 104.
I believe this auger is a 17 and imagine along the way they made it better but no idea what year.
Just a heads up on what we’re seeing.

7A5B2AD1-B2BA-47E1-B98F-4364DA656C36.jpeg
FA358DDC-3B79-4C62-8E32-70192C05CDC1.jpeg

·
Registered
892 Posts
There is a reason some farms never buy a Farm King. Your problem is nothing new in last 15 years from watching neighbours or seeing dealers fix

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thats interesting Joe, I had the same exact problem on my 2017 13-85 farm king. The flighting was bent when it was pulled out and bolts were missing. I think on mine it was a set up problem maybe. I had the dealer fix it up the best they could and traded it on a 2021 13-95. Joe is it possible a employee plugged the auger. Also is that 16-104 have a gearbox drive instead of a chain drive. I went back to a chain drive because when the bolts fell out of my auger the auger jammed but the gearbox is made so strong it smoked my pto on my tractor because it continued to turn, before I could shut it off. I was disappointed the shear pins didnt break before the tractor pto damage. All that trouble because of a guy setting the auger up did not putting a nut and bolt in or not snugging up the nuts! NUTS!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you had a PTO problem before thatWhy didn’t it just kill the tractor?

No it’s never been plugged up, I suspect loosing the bolts that joins them is the first issue. There’s supposed to be a slight bit of tension on the auger shaft with the adjustable nut up at the top and I think when that’s gone it lets the auger slap harder in the tube.
A lot of the welds had very poor penetration into the flight, decent on the tube.
Supposedly the new flightings look way better so we’ll see.

Also have a 2021 16x125 coming Tuesday so it better be!

·
Registered
514 Posts
We had the swing away angled auger bolt come out. it pushed down bending the bottom bearing hanger and then wrecked the top gearbox.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! I’ll check that. They just had grade 5 crap holding the sections together in the main tube.
We’re putting L9 bolts/locks on anywhere it counts.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
After buying a Farm King rotary Cleaner that was just a engineering joke you couldn't give me a Farm King anything. Anybody stupid enough to sell something you cant even mount the jack too without bending the frame needs mental help. Hitch tongues a Campbells chunky soup could outstrength for durability tells me they give engineers diplomas that got jobs there, out of cracker jack boxes.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Just a word of caution on these large diameter augers. If your filling a bin and the auger is left in place for an extended length of time with the fan running, moist air can come down the flighting and out the bottom until enough gallons of water condense down there to block the airflow. The water then gets past the main gearbox seal and contaminates the gear lube. Gear box bearings will then fail.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually the auger is designed well and works great. Just some quality control issues. Pretty sure that flighting is robot welded and just wasn’t setup right.

We’ve had plenty of grief with the blue ones too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
After buying a Farm King rotary Cleaner that was just a engineering joke you couldn't give me a Farm King anything. Anybody stupid enough to sell something you cant even mount the jack to without bending the frame needs mental help.Hitch tongues a Campbells chunky soup could outstrength for durability tells me they give engineers diplomas that got jobs there, out of cracker jack boxes.
Haha, ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Never had a 16" inch Farm King. Looks like a nice auger but from various posts over the years on this Forum they seem to be plagued with gearbox, flighting and bearing failures. Comments on the Forum here seems to indicate better satisfaction with the 16" Brandt. They definitely weigh more than a FK so hopefully that relates to better longevity.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think you had a PTO problem before thatWhy didn’t it just kill the tractor?

No it’s never been plugged up, I suspect loosing the bolts that joins them is the first issue. There’s supposed to be a slight bit of tension on the auger shaft with the adjustable nut up at the top and I think when that’s gone it lets the auger slap harder in the tube.
A lot of the welds had very poor penetration into the flight, decent on the tube.
Supposedly the new flightings look way better so we’ll see.

Also have a 2021 16x125 coming Tuesday so it better be!
I wanted to look at the 125 a couple years ago when I was in Morden at the factory. I was totally appalled nobody at the office knew anything about it and said they only make up to a 104. I told them they had a 125 and wanted to see it. The manager finally said he would get the territory rep to call me. By the time he called me to tell me they had one sitting in the yard I was half way home and p--sed of. Told him He could bring it for a demo if he wanted to sell it as I wasn't driving back after this fiasco. He did finally get back with a price but never saw a demo. Had to wonder what product support would be like from them if they don't even know what they are selling. Ended up with a Blue one.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Never had a 16" inch Farm King. Looks like a nice auger but from various posts over the years on this Forum they seem to be plagued with gearbox, flighting and bearing failures. Comments on the Forum here seems to indicate better satisfaction with the 16" Brandt. They definitely weigh more than a FK so hopefully that relates to better longevity.
Well the Farm King 16x124 weighs 4000lbs more than the Brandt!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well the Farm King 16x124 weighs 4000lbs more than the Brandt!
Where did you find that because farm king 105 is almost that much lighter then Brandt. Brandt 125 is almost 20000lbs which is extremely heavy. Look at size auger shaft tubing Brandt uses compared to everyone else (inner fighting drive)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did you find that because farm king 105 is almost that much lighter then Brandt. Brandt 125 is almost 20000lbs which is extremely heavy. Look at size auger shaft tubing Brandt uses compared to everyone else (inner fighting drive)
Read ‘Em and weep? 😂.

B682B1C7-9C5C-46F0-8B10-F35FB215AE07.jpeg
FE0A999A-FAD1-4BCB-9292-0B4896AEE2D4.jpeg

·
Registered
326 Posts
The design of the 124 looks impressive. Going away from cables to the truss system should provide much more rigidity and stability than cables. Have a 13 x 90 Brandt and am always disappointed with how much it squats down when loaded. Not sure how the 16" FK with cables is for sagging when loaded. The 124 truss system should be better.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't know much about all the big augers made these days but know I have a 13x85 Grainmax I bought a few yrs back and love it. It was used and my biggest complaint was the cable lift system for the hopper. Threw the tangled burred up piece of junk in the bush and bought a 3500lb synthetic rope for a side by side and have no complaints since. You should truly look at a Grain Max auger if you haven't. Very well built and heavy where it needs to be. The gear boxes and shafts are on the outside which makes servicing a breeze and never a chance of say an oil leak on a gear box you can't see. We have all plugged augers and the Grain Max you can simply disconnect the hopper auger by removing one end of the pto shaft from the hopper drive. Put in your shear pin and engage the main auger until the blockage is gone and rehook the hopper drive shaft. Such a minimal mess compared to opening cleanouts and dumping grain on the ground so you can restart the auger. Never had to do it yet with this green beast.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
The 16” grainmax is just a Westfield painted green. Guess agi owns all of them.
We have had a few 13” grainmax and have been quit good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts