The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's alot of plows in north america, you live in wheat country, here in corn contry the alot of them yet.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I always was under the impression that most of the corn guys switched to minimum till/strip till/no till?What is the main reason for guys there to use a moldboard plow?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
everyone thinks no-till is stupid around here, especially with the ground we have this year, hardest I've ever saw, its harder to get the ripper in the ground. moldboard plows dig the ground up nice with corns strong deep roots and the debris from the chopping corn heads can be folded under were the ripper wont work as good, it will all be on top. someone tried no-till and it was the worst field in the county. if i recall i don't think much of anything came up. and less maintenance than a ripper.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Interesting,thanks a lot for sharing.Are guys using turnover plows as well,where you can go back and forth on the same side,working the field from one side to the other?Whats the most common brand for plows currently?Guys are not worried about erosion?

·
Registered
48 Posts
To be truly honest, I have never seen one in my area. I am also in the Corn belt.

To edit my post, I have seen one that i remember. It was being pulled down the road by something with the style of a 1056-66.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I'm wondering if the moldboard might not make a bit of a comeback for weed control. I've been hearing a bit about chemical resistant weeds, watching some of the no till neighbors around here put more and more hours on their sprayers. Their crops look ok yet but their chemical bill must be outrageous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
everyone thinks no-till is stupid around here, especially with the ground we have this year, hardest I've ever saw, its harder to get the ripper in the ground. moldboard plows dig the ground up nice with corns strong deep roots and the debris from the chopping corn heads can be folded under were the ripper wont work as good, it will all be on top. someone tried no-till and it was the worst field in the county. if i recall i don't think much of anything came up. and less maintenance than a ripper.
Some people in my area no-till winter wheat. It's kind of a toss-up on input costs, but much less time working summer fallow for those who farm a lot of acres. A lot of those guys like to plow their fields every once in a while to bury the residue back down and bury deep weed seeds that survive. They don't have extremely large plows like that, but they keep their 5-6 bottom plows and do a few fields every year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts