The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 3 years we have been running a 16-30 corn head on a 9860 just wondering if anyone else out there is running a head that size on a JD and how there getting along.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been trading machines every year so haven't had any feeder problems. We do have to run four lift cylinders and by doing so we are adding more stucture and bracing to the feeder so that helps some. But overall we haven't had any structural problems with the machine's anywhere, just need more cleaning area and a bigger clean grain elevator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I push it a little to hard I have corn just raining out of the holes under the fan. Have to watch the monitor cause at around 3800 bph. I'll leave a nice little yellow trail under the belly.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What moisture are you combining?
Our limit with a 9760 is around 3500bph.
We only run an eight row, I cannot imagine a 16.
What is your corn yielding to warrent such a head to keep the combine full?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since going to the bigger head we've been lucky enough to have somewhat drier harvests on corn moisture. The first year we had trouble in 26 moisture corn with wanting to take it out the back. Not enough wind and enough sieve. Since then it's been more of clean grain elevator issue when the corn has been drier. I pick alot of 15-22 moisture corn and yield ranges mostly 210-260 bpa. We just have to slow down and most of the time run slower than would like, but when we started this 4 years ago figured that deere would have a machine big enough to handle it by now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
At this point in time, I would not want a bigger header than a 8 row for compaction reasons. We can fill the combine with an 8, albeit we have to run faster than I would really like. We have 1050 Michelins and run 17-18psi with a 8 row and standard bin extentions, I do NOT want to run more pressure than then. For a bigger head I would have to go to 800 duals, and that is less pactical for road travel and storage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry about the pictures, my wife and I are expecting our first baby any day now and haven't had alot of time to look. She's got me doing all sorts of other things if you know what I mean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts