The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been waiting for a 1600 gal patroit all these years. but just got a new 1200 last year now I want to make mine a 1600. anybody got some ideas. now that they have come out with one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
We stretched our 4420 6 or so years ago to 1600 gallons and have really liked the bigger tank. There is a guy north of Saskatoon that does this and does a great job of it.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Our local welding shop has stretched a dozen tanks over the last couple of years, mostly Rogators. They told us they'd stretch our 4430's tank for about $6500 if we bring the tank to them. We plan to do it eventually once I have a shop built so I can have a place to work on the sprayer to remove the tank. They cut the tanks and weld in new plates for the baffles. When it's done it looks rather good. Be sure to keep those suspension and steering parts well greased.

While the welding shop is working on the tank, have them weld on a fitting in the sump for connecting an AccuVolume sensor!

SouthernSK, can you post a picture of yours to so I can see how the sight tube mount was modified and how much the tank sticks up past the roof of the cab?

Did Case change anything on the frame with their new 1600 gallon 4440? I'd like to see one and whether the tank is simply taller or if they changed the geometry in another way. I noticed Deere has also begun offering a 1600 gallon tank on their biggest sprayer. About time with fungicides and other high water rate applications becoming common.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Are the components on these 44XX capable of carrying an 3500lbs extra weight? My neighbor and I do sprayer tire changeovers at his shop. He runs a big 1600gal New Holland and his rims are twice as thick as what’s on my 4440. Does a guy have to adjust travel speed when roading? Extra 400 gal would be handy...

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Torriem for the sight tube I cut the aluminum piece in half that holds the sticker for the gallons and added a section to it in the middle. The tank is basically 16-18 inches higher and does stick slightly above the cab. We also welded in another breather or vent tube it the top of the tank so there is no need to ever have the tank lid open when filling with a large pump. We also welded in 12 vertical stiffeners all the way around the tank over the 16-18 inch band area to strengthen the tank in this area. The stiffners were a stainless flat bar welded 90 degrees to the tank wall. The guy that welded ours welded it both on the inside and outside of each seam. The welding looks like a factory job and the stainless did not popcorn or go wavey because the guy knew what he was doing that welded it. If I could remember how to post pictures I would. If you want pictures Torriem just send me your email and phone number.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Very interesting, SouthernSK. To add pictures here, you just have to use the "Go Advanced" posting button, or use the quote button. In the advanced message editor, there's a button down below that says "manage attachments" which pops up a window that lets you upload jpg images.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
The guys in Australia that we talked to said that the Case sprayers they've stretched seem to be holding up fine and they've been doing this for many years. They even stretch brand new 4440s for dealerships and Case honors the warranty provided that the dealer put on an automatic greasing system to make sure things are well lubricated, and as long as the stretching is done by a welding outfit that Case approves of. Didn't think to ask them about the tires and rims. For us we don't have too far to go, and probably would drive slower with the greater load on. In the field it wouldn't take too long to run out that extra 400 gallons.

Yeah 1200 gallons of fert is really heavy. Was the Patriot frame designed for that? In the past some have claimed it was but others disagreed. Definitely I wouldn't feel comfortable putting a full 1600 gallons of fertilizer in a stretched tank!

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
We road a lot and take turns on the road a little slower when we have the skinny tires on. The 4420 with a 1600 gallons full does not weigh any more than a 4430 or 4440 with a 1200 gallon tank full. With the skinny tires the coil springs will bottom out if you hit a big pothole on the road. I would not put 1600 gallons of fertilizer in it. That is asking for trouble. The 1600 gallon tank has saved me a lot of time especially as a one man show for spraying. I would not want anything any smaller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys. Im thinking of doing it my self with some help just wondering how much to add in to get 1600

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Our local welding shop usually calculates the height they need to add to the tank. Basically it's roughly a rectangular addition to the tank, so 400 gallons is about 53 ft^3. Divide that by the product of the width and length of the tank, and that will give you the height of the added part.

SouthernSK can measure his for us, but it seems like 16-18" will take it to at least 1600 gallons.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
I will try measure mine. We added either 16 or 18 inches in height. We took the tank off and on the sprayer but had a professional due the welding. I do a lot of welding but a person needs to know how to weld stainless properly to prevent the heat from popcorning the tank walls. The band that was added in the middle had the radius corners bent into it by a fabrication forming shop. I was going to take some pictures but ended up spraying a half section of Valtera this afternoon in the muck and cold. It was a race to get home tonight before everything froze.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
One of the shops in Australia says that adding 350 mm of steel to the tank will take it to 6000l, which is about 1600 gallons. That's about 14 inches.

I would look for a welding shop that has experience stretching stainless sprayer tanks, and hopefully they can send you to look at one they did. Last winter I was able to see a tank our local shop was welding, both during the process and after it was done, and it looked good. They extended the walls of the tank and also the baffles inside, so that makes it good and strong.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My understanding is you want to leave the rinse tank off when you extend the main tank. Don’t want to carry the extra weight of the rinse tank. Most guys never use them any way.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Apparently in Australia they often just leave them on. Yes that would be another 150 gallons of weight if full.

If we stretch our tank we plan to keep the rinse tank. Eventually I'd like to implement continuous rinse.

Here's a pic from another Australian welding company:
https://oconnorscaseih.com.au/wp-content/uploads/MG_4528.jpg
Can see the automatic greaser installed just behind the storage locker on the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
We stretched ours 18 inches which gives us 1660-1670 gallons filled to the top. We have two stiffners approximately 3 feet long by 1/4 inch on the front and back. These stiffners are tapered at the top and bottom to conform to the tank curve. There are 3 stiffners on each side. The baffle extensions have smaller stiffners on either side of the hole. We have use this extended tank for 7 seasons and have not had any down sides to it on our 4420.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts