The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York has had so much rain over the last two months that the oats are as weedy as I have ever seen them. A week ago we got our first rotary combine, a 1640 with rock trap, specialty rotor, and 15' flex head.
I expected this combine to do much better in the weedy oats than has been the case. Even though we are cutting as high as possible, it plugs right behind the feeder chain, in front of the rotor. I am especially surprised, as a 15' head is a small head for this combine. Otherwise the combine seems to be in excellent condition. Oats in the bin are cleaner than what we ever got with our JD combine.

Any suggestions?

Erick Smith

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is it feeding evenly or coming in in slugs. On this machine you can lower the front drum on the feeder apron.....this will keep stuff from sitting in front of the feeder. If you have a book it will tell you how to do this.

Could be your slip clutch on your feeder is wore out.

Your rock trap could also be the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 1660 and i had lots of the same trouble with plugging in the same area. This year i took out the stone trap and she's a whole new machine. We have very few rocks and they are all soft so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What speed is your rock trap on? Count the teeth on the drive and driven sprockets. A 30 drive and 20 tooth driven works the best. If it is running too fast it dams the crop at the trap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to have this problem if the crop was weedy on my 1440 and I finally stopped the problem after inspecting and replacing the feeder slip clutch and then always making sure that the new slip clutch was properly tensioned. That solved the problem for me so if you haven't checked that I would definitely look into that. Mine didn't have the rock trap and I haven't had any experience with them so I don't know if that could be part of the problem or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts