The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1640 combine, when it is windy the rotary air screen spins slower and causes the alarm to buzz. It only happens when we are combining torwards the south and the wind from the west slows the screen. We have replaced the sensor and it did not help. The radiator seems to be clean. We know the green wire in the cab behind the monitor is the wire that goes to the sensor but if you disconect the wire it opens the circut and the alarm goes on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try checking the brush that goes around the rotary screen drum. Also you might check the bearings on the shaft inside the drum. These are two problems we always had on our 2188.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Our 1680 was the same way. It's just something we had to live with. It needs a hydraulic motor to keep the screen turning like the 2388 has.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem with our 1640. The only solution I found for the problem was to disconnect the sensor at the sensor location back inside the screen. The alarm will go off when you start the separator, but that's what the handy little button "Alarm OFF" up by the indicator lights is for. You just have to manually turn off the alarm every time you start it up. The button only disables whatever particular alarm(s) happen to be going off at that time. I took off the chain on my feeder reverser too(since it was just a high maintenance item that was never used) so I needed to turn off at least one alarm anyways. Just need to watch your temps in case you start to plug up the hyd. cooler or radiator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your help, Dad replaced all the brushes and the sensor a year ago. I will check the bearing again to make sure it is still good. We always monitor the temp and have not had any issues there. we were hoping to put a switch on the green wire so if it was windy and going towards the sout we could turn that off and none of the other alarms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts