The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1660 Case combine, 4wd, probably 80"s vintage. Not sure of hrs on engine or separator as clock has been replaced. Now shows about 3000 hrs. A previous owner was a custom operator so I suspect that the hours are getting up there. Unit is serviced annually by local dealer and owner says he spends about $8000. a year putting it through the shop. The dealer is asking $40K. The unit looks good....no leaks and tin work is in good shape. Owner says engine is good and doesn't burn oil. I wonder though is $8000. typical of the annual repair costs for that age of a machine, or does it suggest that bigger repairs are just around the corner? Would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
4 years ago I paid 41k for a 1666 with 2600 hours and had been owned by a case mechanic so i had records of every chain replaced down to links being taken out! I would run away from your deal!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I liked my 1680 but I would not pay 40,000 for one that age. You might even be able to get into an early model 2388 or 2366 for that price. Keep looking

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
2 years ago I bought a 2388 with 2100 sep hours for $38000, last year I bought a 2188 with 2200 sep hours for $25,000. These were both auction combines but for those price I fully expected to put $10,000 into repairs, and that's ball park of what both needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess the verdict is pretty clear. This one is just too expensive for its age and I should keep looking. Thanks to everyone for your advice. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I sold my '90 model 1660 that had a Cummins engine and 4100 actual hours this year with the 1020 header for $13,500. I don't think that I ever had to do $8000 to it any year I owned it, probably $3,000ish on average and that includes some preventative work too. It was in good mechanical condition when I sold it, cosmetics were the biggest issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 98 case IH 1660 ih motor and 1020 17.5 flex head. Bought it for a decent price I think. Having some serious hydraulic problems with it though that I cannot figure out. I have put the 3rd hydraulic reel speed pump on the feeder house of the combine, my hydrostat quit working the 4X4 isn't working, my steering is excessively tight. So I guess my question is the hydraulic tank in the operating manual shows there being screens in the tank, one over the large hole and one over the small one, is it possible that dirt has entered the tank at one time or another and plugged the hydraulic lines? The screens are not in the tank like they are supposed to be. Is there any way to purge the hydraulic system without it costing a small fortune?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts