The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first post great forum already learned lots.

Ok so first off I have tried multiple internet searches and on here aswell and can not find an answer.

My question is on the three bladed Elephant ears on the very front of the rotor how much wear plate should be left before replacement.

The machine is a 1990 and has 1300 hrs. When we purchased it a few years back the dealer changed everything from the ears back but did not do the bolt on wear plate's. Do not ask me why when I pulled the cover this year ( first year I have done pre harvest maint ) I noticed the wear plates are almost gone maybe an 1/8 of an imch left. But since I have no clue how big they are to begin with I do not know if they are 90% worn or 10% worn.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Are you saying that there is 1/8" sticking out in front of the elephant ears or that the wear plates are 1/8" thick? The second would alarm me more although I think you meant the first. Either way if you are going in there to replace something I would throw away those ears and install one of these: Axceller | Maurer Manufacturing

I changed several 1680/88's to axceller kits and in small grains it is a major improvement for those machines. Welcome!:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that there is 1/8" sticking out in front of the elephant ears or that the wear plates are 1/8" thick? The second would alarm me more although I think you meant the first. Either way if you are going in there to replace something I would throw away those ears and install one of these: Axceller | Maurer Manufacturing

I changed several 1680/88's to axceller kits and in small grains it is a major improvement for those machines. Welcome!:)
Yes sorry 1/8 of bolt on wear plate sticking out past the ear.

I would love to upgrade it as we have flax and wheat this year but unless a part is worn out to non usable cond the old man wont cough up the coin and I will only get original case parts no aftermarket stuff.

P.S go figure a guy from Killarney would be the one to answer from the Pilot Mound area myself.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
P.S go figure a guy from Killarney would be the one to answer from the Pilot Mound area myself.
With the crop that I have seen your way you might need that axceller.;) I would guess the fuel savings from putting one in would have a fairly quick payback too....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I would love to upgrade alot around here I pretty much do all the work sell the grain etc But he has final word on all spent money. He is so tight I all but had to stick a grease gun in him to cough up for a grain moisture tester for this year. Atleast this year I wont have to run to the Elevator of find another farmer to take a moisture test.

He is old and is still of the mindset that if it was better Case would have built it that way.
I doubt even a substantial fuel savings would even make him approve.
But I will keep it inmind for next year when I have full control of the farm. If I keep this machine that is.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If the top of the wear plate is rounded off, it's time to replace. Same with the elephant ear. They both need a good square edge to grab the crop and pull it in. I agree wholeheartedly on adding one of the AFX style front ends. It is the single best mod you can do on those combines. Don Estes used to rebuild and hard surface many of the rotor parts for longer wear. Not sure if he still does. CM Welding Inc > Home

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the top of the wear plate is rounded off, it's time to replace. Same with the elephant ear. They both need a good square edge to grab the crop and pull it in. I agree wholeheartedly on adding one of the AFX style front ends. It is the single best mod you can do on those combines. Don Estes used to rebuild and hard surface many of the rotor parts for longer wear. Not sure if he still does. CM Welding Inc > Home
Yes the wear plate is rounded off but the ears look to be in great shape nice and square and sharp.

Talked to the dealer of sale this morning and they said they changed everything including new ears but used the old wear plate's they had trouble getting them in I guess and the oldman WANTED the combine.

They even had a set of wear plates sitting at the shop for the last two years but used them on another unit last fall.

so that explains the worn out plates but new everything else the wear parts still have paint left on them.

So thank you guys now I can get this 1660 in top shape it went from backup machine to primary this year. It has impressed me first axial flow we have had and it wont be the last!!!!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Original wearplates were 3/8" thick. They should also have square corners on the front -- a rounded over leading edge can cause backfeed by pushing material toward the front.
They should also stick out in front of the impeller (elephant ear) by 1/8" to about 1/4"

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a 1992 1660 from 2001 to 2006,great combine. I put a harvest service rotor in, (rotor damage,needed to be replaced or fixed) a very big improvement. No rumbling anymore after that. Yes I would upgrade to an newer style rotor,AFX,axceller,harvest service of whatever brand. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I second calling Kile manufacturing and order one of the flight kits, the fuel savings and improved grain samples with less dockage will pay for it in one year I would guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.
I ended up only getting the stock wear plates.... I knew that going in tho lol.

But we are pulling it apart this winter for a what we call a prevenitive overhaul.
And I just so happen to get the check book in October so I will talk to Kile Manufacturing.
After harvest.

pretty sure the 1660 will stay and the 9600 is guna go and get replaced with a 1688 or newer machine of that size.
Might try new holland also never tried one and the way some people hate them and some swear by them I think it's one of those you have to try it yourself brands.

Thanks again guys..

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is probably good you are going to run stock this year because if you put the kile kit in for next year you won't think you are driving the same combine! I was shocked how big a difference it made in all aspects including reduced wear on the cone and veins.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is probably good you are going to run stock this year because if you put the kile kit in for next year you won't think you are driving the same combine! I was shocked how big a difference it made in all aspects including reduced wear on the cone and veins.
DAM guys your wanting to make me pay for it myself.

I ran the 1660 last year and I was amazed out how if out performed the 96000

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know the tq rating for the bolts that hold the wear plates on?

dealer was no help all the stuff we buy from them and 0 help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I want to say 90 pounds but I'll have to check my manual when I get off work. I think it depends on which bolts you have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts