The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1660 this last harvest was starting to get like a dog , no power. We used good fuel and filters , air filters, and oil. The machine has 3950/hrs (cummins motor). The engine also seems to have a fair bit of blow by. Near the end the motor would go through about 1-1.5L oil in a 8 hour day. I was told it might be the turbo, but My thoughts are the motor is just in need of a rebuild. Also the injectors were replaced at not to long ago. any help is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We had a tractor with the same symptoms. Come to find out the turbo was not running. Does it smoke black real bad and is there oil down you exahaust? If so it is the turbo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No the waste gate is working, I think that the motor is wore out and is in need of a rebuild. Also when it is running full throttle it has a popping sound to it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Probably got a dribbly injector and blown a hole in the top of a piston? Tried running the engine and cracking each injector line open one at a time - good indication to see if a pots out

·
Registered
620 Posts
Popping sound at WOT usually is a sign of a bad injector/cylinder and if it's been running this way for sometime a cylinder could be washed down enough to be scored up badly or have a broken ring land on a piston. Hold your hand at exhaust outlet and you will likely feel a dead spot in exhaust flow at idle or just above.
Has the valve lash ever been setup on it? They are solid lifter engines and require valve lash to be setup every 2000 hrs with injector replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The loss of power could be the same proplem we had afew years ago on our 1992 , 1660 with the 8.3 cummins. If you pushed her much over 3-3.5 mph in soyes with a 22.5 ft header se would start to lose power.
Once replacing the filter twice in one day , this only helped for 1-2 hour that she would get her her power back. Again started lossing power, Especial when you pushed the hydro way ahead to rush around on the headland. She would bog down for a few seconds until the engine could catch up. We werent sure if the lift pump was getting lazy.
The local mechanic stopped a home that night just as we were pulling up to refuel'. He said could be blocage in the line from the tank to the first filter on the bottom side by the lift pump.
So we unhooke thie line and to him he said it should be free flowing more. Took the air hose out from the shop and blew air backward thur the line into the tank. Bingo the free flow was alot better to the point that we had to rush to turnoff the shut off before we both got soaked in fuel. Hook the line back up and the power has not happened again.
The mechanic said he had this happen before, Especial on combines that work in soybeams, the Fine dust gets into the tank thur the vent and breather cap area. After a time it builds up a layer in the tank. Now and then a chunk will get in the tube inlet and slow down the flow.
If it does it again He said we think about removing the tank and have it cleaned out.
That would be a big job removing all the tin work to get tank out and back in.

Since it has not caused a proplem for the last three year we have let it be for now. He said compressed air has always got it going to finish the harvest.

Good luck and have a safe year

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you tried a compression test? It can tell you a lot. you can test the injectors as well. If it starts hard and has a lot of blowbye you are probably right on it getting wore out. After testing ( compression, injectors, fuel pressure,) and still nothing a reman 8.3 may be in your future good hunting

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help. I think a compression test is in order, and a fuel line clean out. I will try the cheep way first then go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had the problem on a 1460 when it looses power try to undo the fuelfilter. On my machine you could hear air suck in as I undid the filter due to vacuum in the fuel line. There is a strainer in the tank where the suc. line is hooked up, that gets clogget. I punched a hole in the strainer and let the filters do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1991 production Axial-Flows had a noticeable change. The words "Axial-Flow" were at the top of the cab, replacing the "CaseIH" emblem between the cab lights. Actually this served another purpose besides decoration. The area underneath it was redesigned so as to discourage birds from building nests in the windshield wiper motor area, a common complaint on earlier 1600 series Axial-Flows. The belt which ran the hydraulic pump was changed to a double V-groove belt for better reliability. The 1660 also received the different hydraulic reservoir/filter setup that the 1680 had received the year before. The unloader auger drive was changed from an open set of gears to an fully-enclosed, oil bath gearcase. More operators were "unloading on the go" and the open-gear unloader drive was experiencing more problems, especially in high-moisture corn. Also, the augers were spline-driven to and from the upper gearbox, instead of being fastened to the gearbox on previous models. The 1680 had 2 "elephant ears" removed from its rotor impeller, using just 2 instead of 4, for greater capacity in tough-feeding crops.{(***---------- CaseIH had also experienced engine failures on earlier Cummins engines used in the Axial-Flows. The original piston design did not have a "nickel-insert" around the #2 piston ring, causing the ring land area to break, causing major engine damage. CaseIH instituted a upgrade program to replace all the sleeves and pistons on affected units, replacing the pistons with a new, improved design that had a "nickel-insert" around the #2 ring land.-------***)} CDC/Cummins also came out with various engine changes that allowed better oil temperature regulation and better filtration, which resulted in a new-design engine oil filter which bypassed a portion of the oil through a "super fine" portion of the oil filter. Also in 1991, production of 3 models of Axial-Flows ceased. The 1620 self-propelled, 1670 hillside self-propelled, and 1682 pull-type combines were discontinued due to declining sales numbers; leaving just the 1640, 1660, and 1680 self-propelled models to "carry on" the Axial-Flow banner.

-read about that in the axial flow section of "toy tractor times"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts