The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start my 1660 today and the rotor won't engage. Everything else works fan , sieves , feeder. Anyone got any ideas what is wrong. I tried adjusting the rotor speed with the switch but nothing absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is the rotor gearbox in neutral? It doesn't take much to accidentally kick it out of gear if you climb into the engine compartment and step on the shift rod (like when you grease the hub or check the oil in the gearbox).

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to get out of bed, because I wasnt sleeping, and go out to the shop and check and yes you are 100 percent right Mark. The rotor gearbox was in neutral and yes I was just up there greasing so I must have knocked it out. Thanks again. Why didn t the service manager at case think of that when I phoned him at three yesterday afternoon ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The service manager might not have ever greased a machine and done that himself. I've done that exact thing a couple times.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The service manager might not have ever greased a machine and done that himself. I've done that exact thing a couple times.
Service managers know how to write work orders, but don't bet that they will be familiar with all of the quirks common to the machines that their dealerships service.

I've owned Axial-Flows for 32 years. All of them prior to the 2388 have a two speed rotor gearbox and all of those have the same shift linkage running across the floor of the engine compartment. I'm sure there are a great many folks who have performed the "shift by foot" trick over the years.

I've only done it once, but that was enough to develop the habit of checking the position of the shift lever after I climb out the engine compartment.

Mark

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Never knocked ours out of gear before but have had a mouse chew the sensor wire and rotor would read zero. A moved lever is easier to fix in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts