The Combine Forum banner

1660 Unload Auger won't fold out

16K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeff Ingram 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 1660 with 3700hrs and cummins engine. Unload auger just started not folding out. You can hear pump go under load when lever is flipped but won't move. Pushed it out on hillside but still won't go on out. Folds back up just fine. Put new pump on last year and all grease zerks taking grease. Any help appreciated trying to get started cutting corn.

#3 ·
We had that trouble when we first went to IH machines. We eventually couldn't get either one to move. The boys discovered they would move out while you were transporting across the field, but not standing still. We then started putting in twice as much grease into the top of the auger every day and moving the auger while moving. It took a while to work through but they work fine now. Not much power to that little cylinder it seems. Anything will keep it from moving. Good luck!

#4 ·
We checked all the valves and they were clear. I found out fore and aft not working and reel lift not working. We chased electrical connections for 2 days. Finally unpinned cylinder and folded manually. NOT FUN. Had to deliver some corn. Auger has plenty of grease. I tried using jump wires didn't work. Not getting any fire to silenoids. About to pull hair out. Will start chasing more electrical wires. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

#13 · (Edited)
I assumed you did the obvious and checked the fuses. There will be a fuse in the fuse panel which will keep all solenoids from functioning. If the header still lifts it won't be this problem assuming it is not a mechanical valve linkage. Part of your header lift valve has a flow divider. You will likely see this with a jam nut and a flat bladed adjustment screw in the middle (this is on a 1680). I have had to add shims behind the spring internally in order to get enough hydraulic pressure to the components like header reel lift, fore/aft and unloading valves. There is also a seal o-ring internally that may have split or ruptured and is not allowing the flow divider to work properly. Be careful with this component as it has a ball bearing at the end which seals it. and allows the pressure to come through. Removal of that seal can be easily done by threading a very small fine thread screw into its center. It may come out by itself but it may be stuck in there if something happened to the o-ring.

NOTE: You must drain all the hydraulic oil out of the reservoir as it sits above your valve stack and will drain out on you when removing flow divider. First make sure to place the header all the way down so that there is no hydraulic pressure in the system which could injure you and or cause your header to drop suddenly!

As an aside, check your turret and the rotating parts. If your elbow is wore out and letting go at the rotating ring riveted area, it will not go out and you will likely not be able to unload your grain tank either!

#7 ·
I had a the opposite problem with my 1620.
I could not get the auger to fold in. we took
the cover off where the stack valves are. hooked
up a battery charger and was able to get the
auger to go in and out. talked to a mechanic
and he said to replace the alternator. seems
the old one wasn't putting out enough juice to
work the solenoid. a new alternator solved
our problem.

hth

good luck!

Duane

#8 ·
We had the same problem on a 1460 it was the jammer valve. The jammer has to activate to build pressure in the stack and your other functions other than header lift and steering all use the jammer. We had ours apart and dealer was out four times very frustrating. Good luck:)

#9 ·
Thanks Duane will check alternator output. Where is jammer valve located Case 8590? Sorry only my second year owning combine and have had a quick and interisting learning curve. We pulled pin on auger cylinder and folded in and out by hand last two days to get some corn out. Makes you really appreciate when everything is working like it should. Thanks for any suggestions.

#10 ·
Jammer valve is I think will be beside your reel lift valve,but you can tell because it will have a wire from your fore an aft and reel lift and auger sellenoid. Every time a function gets power the jammer does as well. Ours had power but was not seeting in the valve correctly very very frustrating. I know the feeling pushing that auger in and out lol!

#11 ·
Had the same problem with 1688 and found after many hours to be a bad engine oil pressure switch, I know sounds crazy but the valve stack that controls auger, reels and lift are all grounded to the oil pressure switch. There was someone else on here years ago that had found this problem also. We just spliced a jumper ground onto the ground of pressure switch and away we went, until we could get a new one, hope this helps.

#14 ·
HAve you checked the out switch that's located at the unload elbow and fastened to the side tin work if it's flipped the wrong way it will not let you fold your auger out. Have seen that on ours where the 90 degree angle bracket that's bolted to the elbow was actually bent, and not hitting the switch at all.

#15 ·
Thanks for all suggestions. I am checking them out as I have time. Trying to cut corn when I can. I have a small 300 bushel cart and haven,t thought of dumping without swinging auger out been using larger 550. Guess you get tunnel vision or brain locked up. Will post back when we find something. Header lift is working fine as well as steering. Switches tested fine in cradle and at elbow. I have become expert at draining oil can almost hit bucket without funnel. Will have to get my mechanic check the valves it is past my pay grade. When problem started you could hear pump load up when you flipped switch but now it won't do anything. Thanks for the help it is always appreciated. Learning quick. This is only my second year running and owning a combine.

#16 ·
Finally found 2 problems. Found yellow wire outside cab on right side of cab behind panel eaten by mice/rats always hot even with key off found it after sparks flew while looking for something else. Also had an oil leak at valve block and had hooked up 1 wire in wrong position after replacing o-rings which had not had fire going to valve block. Going to have to cut down on the food for my professional mouse catching cats and increase the amount of mouse poision. Thanks to everyone that provided suggestions. It always helps when you get info from someone that has walked a mile in those shoes. On a positive note my combine is doing a great job of shelling corn. My hog raising neighbor said it was the cleanest corn he's seen in a while. Will be shelling a load tomorrow with the auger folding and the hydraulic deck plates working if the rain holds off. Harvest time and planting time are the best time of the season when equipment is working good and the weather cooperates. Good luck to all. Beans will be ready to start in 2 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.