The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am still on the search.......Basically the 1660's cost about 25K - 30K. The 1666's cost about 35K - 40K.

Questions

1. Is the 10K price difference worth it, any major improvements on the 1666?
2. Do all 1666's have the Cummings Motor?
3. Do 1666's have separate hour meters for Engine and Separator?
4. It looks like the 1666 was only made in 1993 / 1994 ...Any parts issues with that small of a production window..... Will 21 series parts swap over?
5. Is the specialty rotor worth the extra $$$ over the standard rotor.
The 66 that I am looking at says it has 3200 hours / specialty rotor / rock trap / Y & M Monitor for 38K.

Right now I just have 60 acres of soybeans out with the addition of 150 acres soybeans next year. Plans are to stay with beans and wheat, with corn a possibility.

Thanks.........
Bartman

·
Registered
77 Posts
Barman, The 1666's all have cummins engines, longer sieves, newer style cleaning fan, better hyd system, etc, just not the nice cab of the 2100 series. If the combine is in good condition the price doesn't seem to be out of line for what you see them going for. Parts are not a problem. The speciality rotor will be worth it now days with our green bean straw, but if you do corn at some time make sure you have at least three straight bars on rear of rotor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just found a few more 1666's to look at......... about 100 miles from where I am working this week. Hopefully I can check these out and make a decision shortly. Since this is my first combine I guess you all can see why I am a bit "Gun Shy". Any one have an idea what a Case IH Mechanic will charge to inspect a combine before I would buy it??

·
Registered
106 Posts
most dealers have service specials for <$500 for 150 pt inspection includes quote, than tack on parts and labour when you give the OK. Almost assured you'll get a quote for atleast $5000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts