The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1992 Case 1660 . We have put a new purpultion cable in and we can still only go 10 mph down the road . We have adjusted both ends of the cable and still no differance. When we push the lever forward it goes nearly all the way before the combine moves , but when we go in reverse it just barely leaves netrual and the combine is moving . Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It could be that the arm on the hydrostatic that sits between the two other arms that is on the lever that connects to the cable is really worn and is taking a lot of cable movement before it moves or it could be one cog out if it had been removed from the shaft . This is the shaft that always leaked for me on my 1680 combine so I had it off quite a few times to replace the "o" ring and Teflon backer .I welded it up a few times also .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did this start after you replaced the cable or did you replace the cable in hopes that it would cure the issue? How long have you had the machine and in times past did it go faster or has it always been this way? I could be way wrong here, seems to me there is a set of gears in the transmission that can be changed to give you a different speed ratio. Maybe for rice? Just another angle if this has always been an issue. Other wise I would also say probably the fork and lever that need attention.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Was the hydrostat ever ran out of oil or very low? You may have scoring on the pistons on the squash plate or excessive wear there causing oil leakage. Hate to be a bearer of bad news but I would not think fork wear would cause a dramatic change but a slow change in speed over time. Excessive oil leakage internally would definitely result in these symptoms. I don't think that it would be a problem with the splined shaft driving the hydrostatic pump. When they fail, it is generally a no movement result! The other problem could be with the hydrostatic motor driving the transmission. It could be wore out and oil bypassing there? How many hours on the unit? I am not sure if hanging a gauge on the lines somewhere could give you an answer. You may need to do a flow and pressure check at same time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.