The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My combine bit the big one(in the form of a concrete bunker the telephone company buried in my field) and now I have to get something different. It was a pretty decent 1460 with 3600 hours. I farm 800 acres by myself with a decent sized cowherd(sometimes in the fall I am pressed for time), I would like something cheap with more capacity, if that is possible. I have found a 1666, 1680 and 2166 with similar hours, about 3500 engine. The 2166 has been completely gone through, but is just 2WD. The 1680 supposedly went through the dealers shop every year and got everything it needed, it has a standard rotor. The 1666 seems to have been rather accident prone, has a new unloading auger and an AFX rotor. Asking prices $47000 for the 1666, $41000 for the 1680, $60000 for the 2166. Which is the best deal(I realize that is tough not having seen any of them, just guess, I won't sue if you lead me wrong)??

2nd part, my dealer told me the 1644-2344 would readily replace my 1460, anyone with experience about that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, one more thing for you red enthusiasts, I am thinking of defecting to a TR series New Holland, any feelings about that??

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'd go for the 2166, but rear wheel assist isn't important to me. After spending time in the newer cab you'll wonder how you ever got by with the 1460. I don't know how something from the 44 family would offer more capacity than a 1460, but I've never driven anything smaller than a 1480.

For the record, it's no skin off my teeth if you want to switch to New Holland. It's your money. If you find a yellow machine that's a better deal then, by all means, take it. Nuts to anyone who gets their red undies in a twist.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
That seems awful steep for the 16 series machines, the 2166 is pretty well in the money. what area are you located, because i know of a 2388 that is loaded up in Indiana for a really good price. I don't need another machine right now other wise i would get it. Also what crops are you harvesting?. Sorry to hear about your 1460, what was damaged beyond repair on it?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would say it's a toss up between the three. I would say those prices are a little on the steep side especially if they don't include a head. I would like the 1666 because of the afx rotor (major plus) but I would be scared about how well it had been maintained or operated since you say it is accident prone. But if the unloading system is all that has been abused then that should be a good machine. I wouldn't like the 1680 because of the standard rotor but the good maintenance history would far outweigh the standard rotor. You could have an afx rotor put in for about $5-6000 I believe. Is the nice cab and faster hydraulics worth the extra $ on the 2166. That's just a personal preference I suppose. To me it wouldn't be worth it. To some it is. Since the 1680 has been kept up every year I would probably go with it and put an afx rotor in it. Even if the others have been through the shop, it is likely that there are still plenty of smaller less obvious items that need replaced and for your acreage the 1680 will have plenty of capacity. Also does the 1680 have the cummins engine and long sieves and/or crossflow fan. I believe they had those on late model 1680s. If so that's another plus

·
Registered
223 Posts
We bought our 1666 Five years ago for $36,500 It was and still is in excellent shape. Specialty rotor, rock trap, chopper, 2wd.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Alfalfa

Local Dealer has a 1688 with 3000 hrs, chopper, FT, RT, bucket elevator, not sure what type of rotor.All tin work is straight. Asking $45,000

·
Registered
116 Posts
We went up to 30" rotor in 88 series from a 2166 and found a real difference in output and performance especially in less ideal conditions. So if you want to go quicker I would go with 1680

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the 1666, it is out. I found a different 2166 with 1900/1500 hours, fairly slick machine. I also looked at a 1999 2388 with everything but a chopper, 2700/2100 hours. Side note to this whole story, I have been surprised how many combines are moving right now, several I was interested in sold before I even had a chance to go look at them.

The 2388 has had $8000 of parts put on by the dealer, he is the dealer I get my parts from and I trust him. I have never dealt with the dealer with the 2166, but they are well known and successful, doesn't mean they are honest I know. The 1680 is still in the running mainly because I can pay cash for it.

So, I need some advice. I can buy the 2388 for about the same $$ as the 2166, but with the 2166 I get a combine with lots less hours. Reality of the situation is I doubt I will gain over 100 or so acres of farm ground if I gain any, so max I am looking at farming is probably 900 acres. The dealer says I can run my 6 row cornhead on the 2388, but I have some real doubts about that. What would you guys do? Get the big machine with more hours and blow through the crop in the fall, probably with a few more repairs, buy the slick 2166 with fewer hours and take more time, or buy the 1680 you can pay for outright?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want to spend the money buy the newer ones. I would lean toward the 2166 if it's as slick as you say it is. The 2388 would be overkill. The 6 row corn head will work. My neighbor ran one on a 2388. Does one of them have an afx rotor. That would be the deal clincher for me. If you buy a newer one especially with low hours it will be a long time before you look at another one. The 1680 will be paid for but you will be looking for one sooner. As I said earlier it's a toss up but I would probably go with the newer ones leaning toward the low houred 2166

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neither has an AFX rotor. So far, the dealer with the 2166 has only given me a ballpark price figure, this really is starting to bother me. There is no doubt the 2388 is overkill for me, but it is from a good trustworthy dealer and that means quite a bit to me.

They are all too expensive as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Then go with the 2388. If it's about the same money as the 2166 then either the 2166 is overpriced or the 2388 is a steal or wore out. But the hours on the 2388 are not bad at all. But do you have a flex head big enough for it. It needs a minimum of a 22.5 foot preferbly a 25 or 30 foot. But if the money is the same and you know and trust the dealer then go with the 2388. It should have better resale value. Or you can go with the 1680 and use the extra money for improvements/upgrades like an afx rotor or similar modification

·
Registered
119 Posts
IMO Those are all overpriced..........Well the 2388 might not be too bad. If you could get it for that price with a 25' and an 8row you'd be doing good.....But I highly doubt a dealer will go for that.

Maybe you could trade in your old heads in a deal?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 2166 is extraordinary as far as condition goes, I doubt you could ever find a nicer one. Based on what I see on tractorhouse it is going to be at the very top end of the price range, but it is probably one of the top 2166 combines left. The 2388 based on what I see on tractorhouse is well worth the money. Either combine will last me for a long time. What I like about the 2166 is when I get it paid for it will still have low hours. I am having a tough time calling this one, because I figure since I got along for years with a 1460, I ought to be able to get along fine with a 2166...but the thought of blowing through harvest with the 2388 is really appealing.

Anybody out there with a 2166 care to tell me how many acres a year you go through with it, size of head you run and speed? That would help me out lots. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I get over about 1250 acres in the fall in a timely manner with a 1660 with 5000 hrs. Plus 300 acres wheat in the summer. And I also have to take a couple weeks in the fall to defoliate and pick cotton. I generally put on about 225 to 240 engine hours a year on my combine. So you should blow through your acreage with a 2166. I would guess that it would take you 25-50 less machine hours to get it done with the 2388. How many hours a year did you put on your 1460? I would guess that the 2166 would do the same in a quarter to third less time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts