The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading combines. Time to retire the 750 Massey.
What specs do I need to harvest corn, wheat (easy on the straw) and soybeans in PA?
Is there a big difference between the 1600 and 2100 series?
What is the difference between a 2166 and 2144?

·
Registered
12 Posts
In short, the biggest difference between the late 16 and the 21 series is the cab. The biggest difference between the 2144 and the 2166 is the engine. I bought the 2166 over the others for those two reasons.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Axialflows are natoriously not easy on wheat straw. That being said to be easier on it you would want the standard rotor with smooth seperator bars and slotted grates with the channels on the outside. You also need to accept the fact that during the heat of the day it is going to break your straw up some. The standard rotor should also work great for corn. Its short comming is in soybeans, that is where the AFX or Speacialty rotors shine. I just put a Kile AFX kit on my standard rotor 2188, we will see how it does in tougher conditions this year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too live in Pa we have a 1480 and a 1660 both with spec rotors and when we cut wheat we carry a 20' on the 1480 and 15' on the 1660 and the windrow of straw coming out the back of both machines are the same size. the 1660's straw is not chewed up near as bad. not sure if its the differance in the amount of stuff going in the front or if it is the differance of the 24" rotor vs. the 30" where are you from in PA??

·
Registered
79 Posts
You guys have to check out a couple of treads back on page 16 "wheat setup need straw" and there is one more related to straw on page 16 as well.
This guy posting under "Homefarm" got the setup to do the trick ( cheap too!!!!) there is a few pics and it looks very good.
Sorry I havent got the tricks to get them treads pulled forward...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts