The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ooh... tough choice. That 1666 sounds super nice, but after running a 2388 for a few years it would be hard for me to go back to the 16XX. Comfort and serviceability are much better on the 23XX machines. But, for 80 hours a year the 1666 would be hard to pass up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't want to burst your bubble but I think your guess is 50-80k low on the 23 and maybe even low on the 16.

2366s "here" in the midwest actually bring more money than 88s. There is still a large market for a six row/20 ft platform machine. Funny guys think a 88 is just too big, even though you can lots of times buy one cheaper.

The 16 sounds like a sweet machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking at these combines coming up at 2 separate auctions. The 2366 has 2400 eng hours and is well worn, I would expect all the internal threshing parts would need replacing, as well as the clean grain and the unload auger are worn through and fixed with duct tape. The 1666 has 1100 original engine hours and was used on a 100 acres of grass seed harvest most of it's life, I expect it would go straight into the field. I think the two combines will end up about the same cost. Probably 40 to 50 thou for the 1666, and 30 to 35 initial cost plus 20 thou for a rebuild for the 2366. I am looking to get 10 years of harvesting out of them at about 80 hours a year. Which would you go for?

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
I think you'll find the 1666 cheaper than you think, unless there are still a bunch of small farmers around looking for such a combine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd definately take the 1666. I'd rather have a nice low hour 16xx than a clapped out 23xx. I'm surprised it would be that bad with 2400 engine hours though. We have an old 2166 with ~2000 engine, 1500 sep hours and it is still in excellent condition inside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hired a Case IH mechanic to give me a repair estimate on the 2366, I would sooner spend $500 before the auction and know what I am looking at then own it and think it was a bargain and then find out the bad news. The combine lived in peas which are hard on the tin and threshing parts. In western Canada there are very few 60 series combines as I guess if you get into tough harvesting conditions you need the bigger rotor and more horsepower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tough choice. If you are going to run the combine only about 80 hours a year, then i would probably go with the 1666 simply because it sounds like it would cost less to make it field ready. But if you ever plan to sell the combine, the 2366 would probably have a better resale value. If you want alot more features then go with the 2366, but it doesn't sound like you would need them. My dad and i run a 2366 and we absolutely love it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We run a 1666, great machine. Picked it up for 36 thou. It had 2400 engine hours at the time five years ago. So I would say that a machine with only 1100 hrs on it should go mid 40's. Do you know if it has the old impellers, or has it been updated to the new axcellar style? Definetly worth more if it has been updated. If I were you I would take the 1666, due to fewer repairs. But in the long run you could end up paying just as much for that 16 as the 23 after repairs. Unless the 23 is really whopped out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 23's sold for 56 thou and 53 thou, my case mechanic said 15,000 in parts and 100 hours labour on either of them to put them in top condition. It was good to have the knowledge of what they needed before I owned one of them. Also someone else may just want to patch them as they need. The 1666 has the standard rotor, no header height or chaff spreader. I'll know in a week if I own it or if I keep shopping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts