The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me with this problem,I have a 1989 1680 with 30' header and luck pans,the combine keeps starting embers on each side of the chopper and seems like the drum is always smoldering.I blow the machine off every couple rounds but still embers everywhere,once the chopper starts I just have to quit,I sprayed with water and blew out nothing helps. thanks

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Remove the chopper.
Okay, I know whay you want to use it, but you can also burn off the residue. The chopper may cost the life of your combine if you don't remove or just disable it. That is a far greater loss than the value of one crop of flowers.

Next year, try canola or at least a less hazardous crop if canola has no market in your area.

Sunflowers are just so dangerous, and i know of a few burned combines, despite best-laid plans to keep them blown off, even 2x or 3x daily.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you drag a chain off the frame of the combine? This might help for static and dust sticking to bearings. We put the chopper in slow speed and drop the cutter bar in hopes of creating a little less dust.

·
Registered
259 Posts
we grew flowers for about 5 years, running 2 1680's and I'm sorry to tell you fire is the name of the game.The only solution we found was combining when the humidity was a bove 50%, basically we combined at night and slept during the day.After a few years of that we quit growing them. My neighbour ran a JD 9610 and had way less trouble than us, it seemed like any case combines had a lot of fire issues in flowers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,I thought about removing the chopper but I combine a lot of small grains and corn,burning residue is not an option,and yes I have tried the chains,someone also suggested closing off the sides of the engine compartment with cardboard but I just dont think that is a good Idea.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had grown sunnys for a fiew years and had a smokefest on our 1680 a couple of years ago . It all started from the exaust with dust buildup. We always blow our combines off every day but left the combine out in the field as we only had 15acres left to do ---bad mistake . I had brought a leaf- blower with me and blew the best i could with that but i guess it wasn't good enough . Had little smoldering fires all over the place . Had to bring out the 75cfm compressor and completely blow out the combine , it even burned the top off the batteries without them exploding . The inside of the combine was smoldering as well but it seemed that it had come from the engine compartment . I have seen an outfit that has a wrap for the exhaust manifold and turbo that is supposed to help but havent grown sunnies for two years but am thinking about it for next year and will be on the lookout for this wrap . good luck
Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts