The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 1680 and a few of the shoe augers have a good bit of slop and play in them. How much turning is too much? I could just chance it but don't want any problems.

Also what is the process to get those augers out to replace them and the gear behind them? One of the augers has curled up flightings on it as well. Can I put that off one more season?

I already plan to replace the wood blocks up front.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I threw a piece of plywood on the sieve and crawled in and tacked each gear to its hex pipe on the end and removes that movement. The slop I believe was due to the sieve oscillation and the thin wall pipe was formed into a hexagonal shape. It is not shaft maerial. I don't understand what you meant by an auger having "curled up" flighting? Is it paper thin due to wear or what caused the curl up?
You can also cut off the tip of the back tip of the LHS auger to keep it from throwing the material to edge. Instead of spending money to buy the "special auger" just shorten the flighting so that it will push material onto alligator pan rather than throw it off to the side.

The process to replace those augers involves removing the hexagon shaker cross shaft. That means crawling onto the sieve and loosening off the "lock" behind each conical gear along that shaft and then sliding the shaft out of the machine.

I wouldn't bother changing the wood blocks, just buy the bearing kits and slide them on against those blocks. I am curious to know if your flighting is wore off. I have never seen a machine with wore out flighting and have trouble picturing what curled up flighting looks like and why it occurred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I am not sure how to post a video to this platform. I would be glad to take a video and show you what I am talking about.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The augers can be screwed out the front of the machine, when you remove the wooden blocks there is a slot which allows this, may have to move some Hyd hoses and the flat bar braces over the axle .
If flights are damaged they may jam up though.
When we did ours was because the hex - drive end of the auger was worn and was starting to round off, it’s just pipe that’s been squashed to the shape of the hex, I have read on here guys cutting it off and welding hex shaft on the end.
You ll still have to get in over the seives and knock the roll pin out and remove the cog on the rear of the auger , check backlash as well on cogs they may just need adjusting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts