The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a 21 or 23 series machine and keeping my 1680 as backup or when a 2nd operator is available.
What is the difference between 2188 and 2388 besides horsepower? Would a 21 series with the same hours as a 23 series be in better shape due to less bushels going through it?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
198 Posts
2388 has a hydraulic feeder house reverser, which is a 1000000 x better than the electric ones. 2388 s also have a way better rad system for staying clean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2388 has a hydraulic feeder house reverser, which is a 1000000 x better than the electric ones. 2388 s also have a way better rad system for staying clean.
Not all of them I believe the early ones had the electric reverser still .. the 2388 had the tailings monitor as standard equipment as well

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,726 Posts
There’s a few models of the 23 but Iam guessing your looking at an early one.......

The HP and better cooling / rotary screen package is really the only difference.

The 23’s might have had something better or updated stronger on the rear axle I think.........?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 23’s might have had something better or updated stronger on the rear axle I think.........?
Don't think so, still had to weld them up the same as a 21 if they'd had weights on or done any long roading.
Might get an afs monitor in a 23 for yield monitoring not much else unless you step up to an exclusive or extreme

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a 21 or 23 series machine and keeping my 1680 as backup or when a 2nd operator is available.
What is the difference between 2188 and 2388 besides horsepower? Would a 21 series with the same hours as a 23 series be in better shape due to less bushels going through it?

Thanks for any input.
Rotor and sieve area are the same size. Basically gave it some more fuel and some bells n whistles. Most things are easily updated to 23. Capacity wise they should be the very close. Mostly creature features.

I've only ran corn and soybeans through each of these but capacity wise a turned n tuned 1680 (1480 for that matter) will stick with a 21/2388. Nicer cab,controls (handle) and the auger swings forward a few more degrees tho.

Super simple to run the 88 series. My gf never even sat in a combine and caught on to 2188 super fast and shes usually not real quick.?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,726 Posts
Pretty sure you had to get to the 2588 which they beefed up the frame and alxe considerably.
I thought the adjustable axle insert was thicker RHS but maybe Iam thinking about something else. Been a long long time since I was involved with the 21/23’s.

Great simple reliable machines regardless...........

·
Registered
480 Posts
I’ve owned probably 4 2188s & 2 2388s the upgrades that came with the 2388 (the air screen change) I found way worse than the old 2188 simple air screen... the electric reverser is just fine. A $25000 machine how can you possibly go wrong?? The biggest problem with the 2188 (1995 era) is the back window doest open to clean. The 96 & 97 will open.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I'm on the fence now. My 1680 works well and maybe I'm better off with the cash in the bank for now. Always dread the hydro coupler failing on the highway, sounds like I'm better off beefing up the rear axle and replacing coupler before it breaks (3200 hours now) than paying 25 thousand for a nicer cab.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Thanks, I'm on the fence now. My 1680 works well and maybe I'm better off with the cash in the bank for now. Always dread the hydro coupler failing on the highway, sounds like I'm better off beefing up the rear axle and replacing coupler before it breaks (3200 hours now) than paying 25 thousand for a nicer cab.

Thanks guys.
What year is your 1680?

Swapping the coupler really isnt a huge deal. Just pull on the hydraulic pump belt to rock it back and forth on the splines then you will know if it needs to be changed.

And for the back axle some of the 1680's I have seen were done the best out of the gate. Generally it's only the center tube that fails but some will crack ahead of the axle pivot point

·
Registered
981 Posts

Thanks guys.
Well I'm sorry if I discouraged your idea... they are a good combine and if you find the right deal pick one up! The few things I like about them is better visibility and the unload auger comes forward more so you see without leaning against the windshield. Hyd system is a bit more refined all controls are on the handle,clean grain elevator is a lil bigger and auger angles in.

I'd keep the 1680 go through it and fix the things you are worried about. They are pretty easy to work on.
If you get a 2x88 and dont like it I dont think you'll lose to much by reselling it. They gotta be about bottomed out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts