The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We used to run a 1063 on our 1680 and didn't have too many problems. The biggest issue was with the cornhead itself. Whenever Granddad drove he pushed the machine as hard as it would go and the cornhead didn't like it. A couple times the driveshaft that runs under the header broke after he hit a big pigweed or kochia at 5+ miles per hour. Dad eventually had the combine detuned a little to limit the ground speed some.

We also ran a 24ft 810 platform. Unless it was really bad dryland wheat we didn't have any problem keeping the combine full. We try to cut as high as possible, too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
you would have no problem with a six row head on a 1680 our neighbor ran a six row on a 1420 one year only picked about 150 acres.
the next year he bought a 1660 that runs his six row great!
For two years when we had are 1660 they ran a 8 row on it so you should get along good!
Some of the corn that he was shelling with the 1420 and six row was over 200 bushel!
I don't know how it did it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We ran a 1010 30ft head on our 1680 in Texas in wheat and milo. seemed to handle it ok, it was a bit on the heavy side

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our neighbor runs a 1680 with a 30 ft. flex header in 90 bu winter wheat cutting all the straw and 40 bu dry beans. Runs an Eight row corn head in 180 bu corn never seems to have an problems with capacity. Has more problems with keeping up with trucks. Not a bad problem to have though.

Bret

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run a 1990 model 1680 with a 30 ft. 1010 header. We cut 40 to 60 bu/ac dry-land winter wheat and it handles it well. I cut 60 bu/ac double crop milo using the 30 ft. head and was ruining 5.5 to 6.0 mph without a problem.

We picked some corn this year that had been hailed on earlier in the growing season that averaged 75 bu/ac. with an 883 corn head and it was no problem other than I couldn't run it fast enough to keep it full.

The only problems I see you will have is the machine you are looking at has the international 466 engine instead of the cummins and it has the short shoe in it instead of the longer shoe. To run the 30 ft or a 8 row head you will probably need the third ram on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was the 466 that bad? what about hydros? did they hold up?

as for keeping up with trucks, i think if i picked corn by hand i still would hafta wait.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The 466 isn't that bad of motor, you just get a little more HP out of the cummins. I don't know about the hydro's, the ones on my 1480's did really well, but I don't know about the 1680 hydro.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We never had problems with the hydro on our 1680, aside from adjusting the speed control cable once.

Check the couplers on the driveshafts that connects the hydrostat motor to the final drives. If they haven't been greased the splines on the shaft will wear off and then you'll be stuck. We found that out the hard way. Luckily, our dealer was able to weld an extension to the coupler to grab the splines further back on the driveshaft. If that isn't possible it'll take a new final.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts