The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ok, here's the deal, I've always been a John Deere fan, but I found a 1688 that I like. Am I crazy or not? Could use advice on what to look for on the 1688 as far as wear point and such. It has 3500 hours on it. 1993 model. Dealer is asking $35,000. Deal or no deal?

Thank you,
Pete

·
Registered
136 Posts
We run a 1688 and always ran deeres. We got uors heads and all for 34,000. If you do go for it check EVERYTHING very WELL ours has almost every new part on it since we got it. lol Main wear points are the needle bearings in the sieves on the right and left sides check them while the machine is running. If they have much wear at all ether don't buy it or have your local Case IH dealer on hand to replace them when they go out. We had to do ours and they are a bear to change.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our 1688 has about the same hours on it and if major wear parts haven't been changed you could be in for some pricey fixes. Will the dealer inspect it for you or if it isn't a CIH dealer see if you can find a dealer with an excellent tech and take him with you to check it over he will know what to look at. $350 or so to make sure it is a good investment may be worth it. I hear all the time about neighbors that bought an axial flow and had to put $20,000 in to there machine. It could be rock damage or just wear. You need to look and the cage and cone as well as the transport vanes in side each. Also the condition of the rotor. Those are the big ticket items. We have had to replace some stuff on ours, but we love the combine. We had record corn yields for our area, about 190- 220 wet and the cleaning system never had an issue with our 8-30" corn head. Not bad for a 15 year old combine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2qOz7DUa8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts