The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many places about turning the pump up. Could someone please provide instructions on how to do this. I've always felt that my 1688 was lacking power. Seems that under heavy conditions my rpm's drop too much. Maybe more of a govenor problem?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

You need to check your WOT no load rpm's first , check your operators manual.
I think it is like 2770 rpm's.You can adj this by backing out on the wot stop screw on the outside of the governor hsg.
There may be a plastic retainer lock over the lock nut.

Also push the throttle lever wide open till it latches in wide open position(without the engine running) to make sure the cable is pushing the lever on the pump to the stop screw.

Check an see if your machine has the little pipe that goes from the aneroid on the pump to the intake.Make sure it is in good condition.

If that didn't help enough remove the small cover on the bottom of the governor hsng.It has four small bolts holding it on.you will need a 10 mm wrench to remove the screws,plus will probably have to cut the seal wire on two of the screws.

At the bottom of the opening there is a small slotted screw with a 10mm lock nut on it.

Loosen the nut and turn the screw in about one turn lock the nut back .

Put everything back together.Make sure you put the square cover plate on correctly,I put one on upside down one time and the governor screw wore thru the plate and oil poured out.

Happy Surfin!

Maxie

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual says max rpm is 2460. Where is the aneroid located on the pump? Is the cover that I want to remove on the end of the pump? That looks like the only cover with 4 bolts. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you engine is laxy as oppesed to low on power check your governor setting. Remove your aneroid ( the box on top of the rear of the pump with the small line going to the intake) You will have to chisel off two tamper proof screws. With a allen wrench turn the screw all the way in counting the clicks sb 5 or six beck the screw out one or two less clicks that it was. It makes your governor more sensitive to rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts