The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1688 w/ only a 6 row corn head and we have been having serious power problems. Machine bogs down going thru the field and we barely have enough power to unload in the go, if we do, we have to run below 2 mph.
We are harvesting 200 BPA corn @ about 21.0% moist.

So far we have replaced:
Manual Fuel pump
Electric fuel pump
Alternator
Numerous fuel filters
return valve on the injection pump

We have also checked for restrictions in the fuel lines and they are clean. Starting to get really Frustrated

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Any help would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
238 Posts
Start eliminating combine elements. Header off? Thresher off? Roading? Checking in various states of operation will help locate the problem.

Part of me thinks it could be the hydraulic pump overloading the engine.
Else, air cleaner?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only time it bogs down is under load, goes down the road fine. we are running about 25-26 psi of fuel pressure while going thru the field.

Do not have an anaroid valve.

Have also replaced the air cleaner. The machine really does struggle going up a hill maybe it is hydraulic pump.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
how many hours on your 1688, we've, had a few 1688's, at 2500 hrs. did the injectors and pump, turned it into newly powered machine again. Our 1 1688 would keep up to our CR 960 in 25' swathed irrigated canola.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does it only do it when the unloading auger is out? Does your auger out limit switch work? If not it will take a lot of power to shove oil through the pressure relief valve. The same with the auger closed limit switch. I have trouble with mine sometimes and I have to run the switch in neutral til I get it readjusted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a 1688 also. i would guess it be the injection pump. i had mine off before this season. it has 3900+ hrs on the meter. i had a torque capsule put in it. when calibrating on the stand, it was discovered the the governor had slipped. it can be a common problem. there is no key on the tapered shaft. loctite it if you have it off. i had only 5 degrees of timing, instead of 10. between that and the torque capsule, it made a whole new machine out of it. i run a 1083 in some pretty good corn at 5 mph pretty easy no matter the moisture.

kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it could be the injectors. With today's low quality fuel , the injector tips take a lot of abuse, and usually start blocking off the spray holes, resulting in less fuel to the engine, regardless how much the pump is trying to put there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.