The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been doing quite a bit of research on these combines. Currrently, I run a 1460 and its getting worn out. Its pushing 5100 hours and we do all the work on it so other than parts, its not really that much to fix. However, 1200 acres with a 1460 with corn, beans, and double cropping wheat and beans, itd be nice to have a little bigger combine and a little newer. Ive heard the 16 series can out do the 21s and seem to be of better quality than either the 21 or 23 series. The price gap is pretty large as well if they have all the same bells and whistles.

What do you all think about the 1688s though? Ive heard nothing but good about them and they are comparable to a 9600 in wheat and beans and will run circles around them in corn. Im going to try to find one with the AFX rotor and field tracker, etc so I can really haul some rear down the field. I was thinking a 30 foot MacDon Draper. Ive found a few for as little as 7-8 grand. Not that bad considering you can buy some pretty old stock units for not that much less. Have to stick with 6 row head until I either get a 16 row planter or plant straighter...

·
Registered
21 Posts
One bad thing about the 88 series is bushings and frame rails for sieves dont stand up. Under built for size of sieve. 1666 would be a great machine and has the capacity to handle substantially more than 14 series. 8 row head in 200 bushel corn @ 3.2-3.5 mph. Well built machine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One bad thing about the 88 series is bushings and frame rails for sieves dont stand up. Under built for size of sieve. 1666 would be a great machine and has the capacity to handle substantially more than 14 series. 8 row head in 200 bushel corn @ 3.2-3.5 mph. Well built machine.
Ive heard if the bushing problem. Apparently more problamatic on the 21 and 23 series, but still problems on 16s. Ive looked into 1666, but i wamt the ability to handle some tougher stuff and go later. Years like these with think, immature, tangled sds and flood beans really put the smackdown on a combine. We can run 3.5 to 4 mph with a 6 row on the 1460 without throwimg anymore over. All the loss is from the rotor because the vane position is to fast and will lose regardless of how slow or what yield. All im saying is that i would like the idea of a 1666, but i just wanted a bit more combine than that. Altho bossman may get one amyways regardless of what i say. Sons dont have much say in what gets purchased...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
On the bushing thing, the oldest 1680, even the later 1480s can be upgraded to the 7088 parts as long as the 14 and early 16 have been converted to long shoe.

The 1688 is basically a 2188 with the old cab for the most part. It has the slower engine and a few hydraulic upgrades that the older 16s did not have.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the bushing thing, the oldest 1680, even the later 1480s can be upgraded to the 7088 parts as long as the 14 and early 16 have been converted to long shoe.

The 1688 is basically a 2188 with the old cab for the most part. It has the slower engine and a few hydraulic upgrades that the older 16s did not have.
That would be a good idea to upgrade. Ive been on tractor house and found a 3000 hr 1688 for 45k with ag leadet yeild monitor, field tracker, afx rotor, long sieves, and more. Thatd be nice. Its gone now though, or i couldnt find it anymore

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

I have a 1688 with the original external sieve hanger bearing mounted on channels on either side of the machine. I have never updated or replaced it yet. Early on with the combine, one of the front bolts on the original channel (driver side) would go missing or get loose. I replaced the 5/16 with a 3/8 and it would still go missing. So I drilled it out and replaced it with a 1/2 bolt, ground off part of the head so it would fit in on the inside. It has never cracked out. I have replaced these needle bearings though.;)

I also have replaced the hexagonal crossshaft because it was developing a tick or creak when at speed. Failure to replace this shaft in a timely fashion will break sieve rails. I have not replaced the bed augers yet. The gears appeared to be getting loose on the hex pipe. I spot welded the gears on to the ends of the bed augers, just enough to keep them from slopping around. Most people replace bed augers because of that wear, not because the augers themselves ever wear out! A little weld will not deter from removing them if need be.

I always thought it would be nice to have a 2188 because the final drives are heavier and more suited for 36' headers. All the 14 and 16 series combines need the big bearing changed on the final drives at around 2000-2400 hours. If you notice a wheel seal leak, stop and do your final drives. It can catastrophically fail very soon after and bust your case when the bull gear contacts the bottom. (Speaking from experience!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1688 with the original external sieve hanger bearing mounted on channels on either side of the machine. I have never updated or replaced it yet. Early on with the combine, one of the front bolts on the original channel (driver side) would go missing or get loose. I replaced the 5/16 with a 3/8 and it would still go missing. So I drilled it out and replaced it with a 1/2 bolt, ground off part of the head so it would fit in on the inside. It has never cracked out. I have replaced these needle bearings though.;)

I also have replaced the hexagonal crossshaft because it was developing a tick or creak when at speed. Failure to replace this shaft in a timely fashion will break sieve rails. I have not replaced the bed augers yet. The gears appeared to be getting loose on the hex pipe. I spot welded the gears on to the ends of the bed augers, just enough to keep them from slopping around. Most people replace bed augers because of that wear, not because the augers themselves ever wear out! A little weld will not deter from removing them if need be.

I always thought it would be nice to have a 2188 because the final drives are heavier and more suited for 36' headers. All the 14 and 16 series combines need the big bearing changed on the final drives at around 2000-2400 hours. If you notice a wheel seal leak, stop and do your final drives. It can catastrophically fail very soon after and bust your case when the bull gear contacts the bottom. (Speaking from experience!)
Wow, thanks for the info. I never would have thought about the final drive issue. I dont think Id ever have to worry about a 36 ft header though. Around here, even people with JD 690s/ Case IH 9230s dont run much over 40 ft and they are over twice the horse power. Of course that partially is due to residue management, it is also because it seems we have late frosts fairly often, beans are high yielding, and anything too big will be way to much to handle for the combine. At least at the speeds some of my neighbors are running through the field.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've ran 1680, 2188, 2388. If you are confident in your DIY repairs, you should be able to pick up a low houred 21 or 23 at auction for under $35,000. The cab is way better, bigger cleaning area, bushing need to be replaced every 2000 hours, the newer ones have way heavier parts.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I've ran 1680, 2188, 2388. If you are confident in your DIY repairs, you should be able to pick up a low houred 21 or 23 at auction for under $35,000. The cab is way better, bigger cleaning area, bushing need to be replaced every 2000 hours, the newer ones have way heavier parts.
Bigger cleaning area than what? The old 14xx and early 16xx "short shoe machines yes, but not the long shoe machines.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
not to high jack this but where are you finding 2388 selling for under $35.000, all the ones I'm seeing are high houred still selling for 50.000 and with around 2000hrs for 60 to $85.000

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 1688 has been a great combine. Only major problem was the hydro splines stripping out. Replaced with a greasable coupler. Updated the feeder chain to a harvest services plastic slat, much quieter. Also installed the Kile rotor flights and transition plates, much less rotor rumble.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welll, kinda like the other guys, where are you finding 21s and 23s for less than 35?. Even with no extra stuff except the basic monitoring, i dont know if that could be had. It depends on your area too though. Ive found 21 for around 40ish, and 23s for maybe 60to 70 minimum. 23 is a big machine, and a bit oversized. Just got in a 21 today and absolutely fell in love with it considering im use to the 1460. Ive never been in another combine except the ole MF 550

·
Registered
7 Posts
You would be surprised at how cheap 21 and 2388's are in Saskatchewan. Go on the Ritchie Bros auction site. Do a search on auction results. Gives you results on any piece of machinery they sold in past. Buy the 1688. We ran them for years. There is a slow down kit for the cleaning system you can install. It dramatically reduces the need for bushing replacement. We put the 2388 style wishbone style sieve hanger on our machines to eliminate the c frames. Turn up pump, put afx rotor in it, and it will perform. As other parts wear out, install the newer heavier stuff. All parts fit right up to the 7088's basically. We upgraded to 20 series combines this year, but I still prefer to the run the 1688 we kept

·
Registered
263 Posts
04/2388

2000hrs this machine is a gem, have run it for three yrs too many new items to mention, had to use it on 300ac of soybeans as my 8010 had hydrostatic overhaul, all three pics are of machine changed 18.4/30 rear tires put 23.1/26 on rear big rubber better match for front 900/65/32R2. Without header $85000. $10000 for good 1052 draper, will put in classifieds;)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.