The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys we are located in Eastern Washington state and primarily farm wheat. Lots of guys in our area are using 1890 drills. What is the difference between an 1890 and a 1990. You can find single row 1990 on 15" centers or double row on 10" centers. I am curious about other single disk drills too but need to stay in a budget and the number of 1890 drills for sale seem to have the price low. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
An 1890 is a toolbar only and requires an air cart either towed behind or between, a 1990 is a toolbar with a small air tank system mounted on the rear of the toolbar.

I would expect that most 1890's were used on larger acreages and have done more work.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't know your hill situation but as Haystack has said one has a separate cart and the other is a CCS system so depending on how steep your hills are the 1890 might push the cart around while turning. The disks don't hold the drill back like a shank drill will when turning on the hills so even though the 1990 might be more expensive it may be the better route to go other than it has weight on the back for tailing on the hillsides. I see some 1890's set up with tanks on them from Agpro in Lewiston which appear to work well.

You are going to get more capacity though with a cart to cover a lot more area between fills. We ran a JD single disk drill for about 12-13 years while adding a shank drill for 10 years that always out yielded the disk drill on our farm. We run in the Blue Mountain area so a little south of you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Used 1890's can be had for a very reasonable price with air cart. The mounted tanks are nice but not necessary. You will have to lay out a turn or two in each field but the increase in capacity and ease of maintenance is worth it too us.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We are running an SDX 30 with 1100 cart a bit to the east of you. We had a really good spring with it and a difficult fall, overall we are still very pleased with it. The cart is a little small but it is a lot nicer than filling a box drill. Any questions ask away

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply. We farm on steep hills around Pullman WA and I am familiar with the 1860 performance, I was just curious if there was a difference in the openers. We currently are running 2 Seedhawk shank drills but I want to diversify with a disk.

Kabota19, do you know what the difference between a SDX 30 and a 500T Precision disk is?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just from looking at the 500t on jones lot the major differences would be: smaller disc, parallel opener linkage, no seed firming wheel, very different closing wheel and a redesigned frame. We were pleased with the sdx and its ability to go in to the ground (beans at 3.5" this spring on 20 year crp, rape at 3" in August into crp and chem fallow) only major problem we had this fall was breaking disc spindles. We think this was due to speed, wore out discs and how hard it was this fall, never had a problem getting seed into the ground though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have an 1890CCS which is an 1890 with the tank on the drill frame. I am very impressed with the stand and how well it does in no-till. You can also back off the down pressure to plant in conventional tilled fields. The reason I wanted a CCS was because we still have several small fields and a drill and cart seems to long for now. It was a good step up from a box drill for us. The worst thing I've seen is it is a pain getting into the feed cups if one plugs and you have to clean it out. The 1990 has some upgrades from an 1890CCS, such as an oscillating agitator rather than a rotating agitator. They also have seed sensors on every opener on the 1990 where the 1890CCS has one sensor for every two openers. So if one opener on a run plugs, all the seed goes to the other opener and you don't know it. Overall, I really like the 1890CCS for our operation and the even stand we get. The drawback is the tank is seed only so you can't put fertilizer down unless you go with liquid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.