The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking off the John deere blockage monitors on a 2008 drill with brown box,and there is a white box at back of drill for the info. The wiring harness from tractor goes into then to air cart, am I able to eliminate the box and splice wires together. Anyone with one of these drills without blockage doe the deutsch wiring harness go from tractor to where cart hooks to drill uninterrupted. Thanks

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm not certain on the answer to your main question. The cart will run fine when the processor for the row sensors experiences a general failure. I suspect the cart will run fine with that processor simply unplugged, although I never ever did that as I recall. There is an 8mm head bolt buried in the centre of the wires holding the harness to the processor on the drill.

I presume you are going to a different row monitor system. Support for what you are removing is a bit weak. It's a good system but defeats most people when there are multiple part failures and poor connections.

It automatically configures itself from left to right so if a board totally fails or some connections between the boards on each manifold, it just shuffles the next one to the right into its spot. It's also very common for the circuitry of a board to fail on 2 or 3 of its rows. I should have posted a how to on here, but it would be a big read.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had alot of trouble with false alarms , used agtrons on a 1830 last year and was impressed so am going to convert this over to that. Plus the midrows omly had one blockage per tower. I could leave the white box on and turn off all sensors, mbut would like to remove cause there is alotmof feet of wire that doesnt need to be there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It automatically configures itself from left to right so if a board totally fails or some connections between the boards on each manifold, it just shuffles the next one to the right into its spot. It's also very common for the circuitry of a board to fail on 2 or 3 of its rows. I should have posted a how to on here, but it would be a big read.
I have an all run system on my 1895 and have 2-3 runs which won't work. So far i understand that system, that if, let's say, run 3 on a tower would quit, that everything after that (4,5,6...) shouldn't work but they are working. I tried to change the "black box" on the towers and it won't make a difference...the same with the blockage sensor itself....makes no difference to replace them. I have this problem on 3 towers and i think, it s always run 2 or 4.
I have no clue, what the problem is.
....any idea, what i could try to get these working?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If any run on a tower is working, it normaly knows that board is on the system. The whole board on a tower will seldom fail. However, if the 4 pin connection on tower 1 had a poor connection for example, it will want to change tower #2 into #1, because that is now the first one on the left.

There would then be a whole tower of runs not showing in the configuration. Here is the tricky part, if you press (accept configuration) at that point, it will never try to sense those missing runs. The only way to get them back, is get running components all in place and working before you (accept configuration).

It is possible on your machine that the wrong configuration has been accepted, but it is also probable that you have boards with a few circuits for given rows that have failed.

On one of your configuration pages it will show the number of primary's being sensed and the row numbers on each one. Work on your connections to the #1 primary and the row connectors on that board first. If it refuses to show what you want, physically exchange in one of the other boards that is showing that it's working, and continue across the drill working the problems.

I like to grip the connector pins at about 1/2 their length with needle nose pliers and put a slight bow on the flat side of the pin to get rid of resistance in the connector, along with some WD40.

I would walk you through the pages but I don't have access anymore to one of those units. It should be in (setup) / (aircart) and so on.

If you do get the right number of primary's and rows accepted you can then press the (info) key then (blockage monitor) move along and find (hit counters). You can select any primary one at a time. There will be big random numbers for each row anywhere from 0 to around 60 000 I believe. Have a helper tap each row sensor 10 times with a small tool and see that it registers 10 more hits. You can do this alone but its time consuming.

Once they are all counting that's all you can do while parked. As you start planting, some rows will register blockages that are not. Rework those connectors, because the sensor is redundant, I believe, and will count even when one terminal has a poor connection, but the system senses this to alert you to trouble. If it will not stop alarming, put a new sensor in place and leave the other hanging and see what that does.

If its still not solved, check the configuration again, to see if that row is sensed. It is possible for the tower board to have an intermittent poor connection on a row in the beginning of its failure. That usually gets worse quickly and takes a couple of rows off line.

brs is correct about false alarms, this system will have more stop time to keep it serviced than stop time for actual blockages. It's the nature of the beast and the vintage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.