The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to just stop the hydraulic handle from turning early; when you think you have enough product to weigh. The last time we did MAP it put in 70kg into the bag. 20 I would have thought would be enough. Will the computer accept it?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
On the mechanical drive carts you have to turn the handle until the computer disengages the clutch in order to continue following the prompt messages on the monitor. If its has no previous history stored for that particular meter cartridge on that named product it can run a very large sample because it doesn't know what to expect. The sample size should automatically be much smaller for that combination in the future.

I always set the transmission to 100 on the old mechanical units rather than the requested 50, and just crank it slowly. It's the same quantity of work, but it just suits a human better. I couldn't say if its quite as accurate because I always trimmed the meter displacement later on critical products.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I have time I could try cutting it short to see if it accepts it or ends up with a similar MDV, I am not sure if mine is learning much at the moment, seems my worker reckons there has been huge amounts twice now.

The trouble is that when you are seeding there's never much spare time. Volume seems to be working out for area though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure you have selected the correct product for the tank you are calibrating.I have never had that prob before. It will have predetermined mdv for all products in your drop down list that should only then wind thru about 15 kg.

·
Registered
524 Posts
We have a mechanical 1900 which I assume is fairly similar. I never meter out until it cuts off. Just enough to get a good weight. Say 7-8kg. It is after all only calculating the weight vs the amount of revolutions. In fact most of the time I leave it on custom 1 so it never knows what to expect. It's been a very accurate cart

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys ; I will give it a go next time

·
Registered
29 Posts
To jump onto this thread of jd 1910 meter questions.
I had to buy the yellow canola roller off the guy that traded it off to the dealer.
I now notice the two plastic insert blockage pieces are missing...according to the picture of the meter cartridge in the manual.
Here is what is happening.
With the air fan spinning while I'm clearing fertilizer blockages... I noticed there is canola on the ground while I'm stationary, but always on the runs from the near adjacent seed cogs next to the open blank section.
Plus, to my horror, the rate for canola is double what I've calibrated for.
I'm assuming there is canola escaping through the open meter section leaking into the two adjacent sectections.

Does this make sense?
Thank you!

Big shot of rain in eastern Saskatchewan last night. So I sadly have a day or so to solve this issue.
Gary

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had issues a bit like this with canola metering out stationary; check the internal brushes in the roller casing for wear or plugging.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
To jump onto this thread of jd 1910 meter questions.
I had to buy the yellow canola roller off the guy that traded it off to the dealer.
I now notice the two plastic insert blockage pieces are missing...according to the picture of the meter cartridge in the manual.
Here is what is happening.
With the air fan spinning while I'm clearing fertilizer blockages... I noticed there is canola on the ground while I'm stationary, but always on the runs from the near adjacent seed cogs next to the open blank section.
Plus, to my horror, the rate for canola is double what I've calibrated for.
I'm assuming there is canola escaping through the open meter section leaking into the two adjacent sectections.

Does this make sense?
Thank you!

Big shot of rain in eastern Saskatchewan last night. So I sadly have a day or so to solve this issue.
Gary
You should be able to get new plastic blanks installed in the openings without huge difficulties just by loosening the long bolts clamping the cartridge together.
Don't tighten those bolts very much and make sure it turns easily by hand.

Something has gone wrong in the calibration if the actual rate is double. The most logical thing would be that the hand crank was turned backwards during calibration. It must be turned forward, or counter clockwise the same direction as the tires turn. The meter must also be turned a few turns to prime it before a certain point in the calibration procedure.

Scroll through your setup to make sure the correct sprocket ratio is on the main drive for the tire size and drill size. There is also a separate wheel diameter or radius (already can't remember) field that must have the correct value entered and then there is the one for the drill width, which shoud actually be be the average coverage for each pass not the drill width.

Make sure the tire pressures aren't low, causing a higher rate when loaded. You should get the travel speed displayed for the cart to closely match the tractor speed by adjusting the value in the tire diameter field. Do this rolling across the field with the drill out of the ground, then ignore the difference caused by tire slippage other than a warning that you might be headed into a place that you could get stuck. Select your tire pressure before doing this and have the cart partially full for best accuracy. Beyond that there is manually trimming the meter displacement, but that isn't your immediate need.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Perhaps tire size or sprocket teeth got entered wrong.
Yes, I should have made that more clear. It isn't enough to have the right sprockets to match the outfit, you have to have that correct sprocket information entered in the monitor set-up.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Check the 'bearing' plate clearance between the end of each roller and the housing. If it's a bit worn canola will bleed through. Also block that run off your not using.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update....
Thank you all for the pointers.

As far as calibrations go..
I had a John Deere salemans / farmer friend come out to ensure the machine was matching the monitor regarding teeth counts and tire sizes on the settings plus do the first calibrations with me.
I'm confident he knew what he was doing as initially, the rate of canola use was spot on.
The problem now appears that the small blockers on the meter blanks have fallen out during my first few days of operation.
Thus allowing the canola in the tank to freely flow to the first adjacent sprocket. The bottom foam seals are somewhat recessed...since the machine is a 2006 and has 67,000 acres on the meter.

I'm taking the meter cartridge into John Deere in the morning to get some advice on the brushes and bearing clearances as suggested earlier.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!
I know the small plastic covers were there at one time since they fell out in my hands... I reinstalled them but Now they are totally missing. I've robbed some of the little plates from the other meter I have.
This has been a very expensive learning curve. I'm embarrassed to mention the amount of canola I've gone through by trying to track this problem down.
Just told the wife I spent the winter holiday money on breaking the new drill in!
I had hoped to not take the a winter job and live on the excess spoils of conquest from farmin'
This ain't going to be happening now! Doh!
Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
You likely should put small amounts of seed in the tank and level it, then take notes of what that looks like. Do a few acres and stare in there and decide how much seed you think you used then devide it by the number of acres you just covered.

What is the transmission setting on this roller? I'm not convinced that much seed can enter the adjacent flutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Hatstack,
The procedure you've suggested has been done several times. I drained the seed out of the tank to ensure the passages and tank were clear. Put in 23 lbs. of seed spread across the meter inlets. Then seeded exactly three acres as per the gps coverage map.
The remaining seed in the tank was exactly the mount I was expecting. Though I did not drain it and reweigh it.
During this procedure, the canola would not run out of the shanks with fan running "full".
I thought my trouble was behind me.
Put 7 bags on to finish the 50 acres on the quarter. Should have required only 5 bags.
Then during seeding, I needed to clear fertilizer blockages.
While doing this, the two sections adjacent the blanks were spewing seed while stationary again.
Plus, in 40 acres, I have emptied the 7 bags onto the field. It is my assumption, the runs adjacent to the blanks are getting the extra seed since they seem to not stop while stationary....they must be allowing leakage while seeding too.

I have once again drained the seed from the tank. Acquired the two small plastic "credit card" sized blockage covers from the spare meter cartridge, snapped them into the top side of the holes of the missing covers.
I'll get JD to inspect the meter cartridge to look for wear or missing parts today.

The transmission is on 10. The rate as per the monitor is 4.9 lbs.

Gary.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have your meters been rebuilt? Not only so your plastic feeds need to be in good condition, but also your brushes as well which help in creating the airlock. JD can rebuild one in a few hours. Over the past 13 years with a 1900 and 1910 cart, for a desired rate of 5lbs in canola is between 11-14 with it mostly at 12.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts